sadolin and wood filler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have leanto I built about 1997 and coated all the wood in sadolin

a couple of years ago I redid and had to use some wood hardner and a little filler
that has now required re doing and particular the window sill i have completly removed all the rotton wood and hardened and filled with wood filler including all the opened grain

now when i have covered in two coats of sadolin - the wood filler has not taken the colour

any suggestions please

Sponsored Links
It's a bit like closing the stable door afterwards but you could always have coloured the filler.I've used powdered and tube colourants with two part fillers successfully.
You can also get coloured fillers if you don't fancy mixing your own.
To be completely honest though I'd have spliced in a new cill if it was that bad .

Did you sand the filler before applying the sadolin ? I've found some fillers don't take stain very well if they aren't sanded first two packs like wudfil for instance although sanding will also lighten it as well :confused:
Another possibility would be to rub it down again and apply a woodstain such as coloron before the sadolin.

Sponsored Links
Thanks - Yes i did rub the filler all down and the entire sill - its about 4meters long in total and only had minor rot around one area that gets quite wet.
used two grades of paper and used a sander and by hand.

but as the grain was splitting and holding water - I decided this time to all use hardener and filler on a lot of the sill

i think 1 will have to look into the coloron although my other half was quite particular about the colour we used - green
had a product called duckback when first erected and that was too light green

:( :(

thanks very much for the tip

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back