Safe Installation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A IP rated CU unit has been installed at a caravan site, which is screwed to a fence, but you have to climb over the fence to get to it and there is a 8foot drop into a beck right below the CU! There is onlt approx 1 foot of ground to stand on in front of the CU and then in has a drop into the beck, where you need to stand to be able to check CU is covered with undergrowth and is very slippy. I'm concerned that if something trips, then whoever goes to trip it back in will fall into beck!
Also the supply to the building is a TT system, it goes into a Metal Cu and then SWA underground to the Outside CU. It Does not a RCd until the outsdie CU. Doesnt reg require a 100mA RCD at the 1st CU?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a lash up!
Certainly doesn't sound ideal having an 8ft drop - arguable that it isn't suited for the environment. Also if it isn't secure then kiddies might play!!
The setup you describe sounds like there is no ADS (automatic disconnection of supply) for the first part of the TT system so it is a code 1 defect.
The regs don't necesserally require a 100mA for the supply - they require that the devices will discriminate so a time delay RCD might be better. You'd also need to address the RCD requirements for anything in the building.
As the CU is metal then the RCD should be upstream of it (unless a special kit is used inside the CU availabe from some manufacturers).

Is it corect that as the Ze is 6ohms then the RCD can be inside the 1st CU, but if it was high reading it would need RCD before metal enclosure?

No - if you work it out then only something like a B6 MCB will disconnect within the required time when the ELFI is 6 ohms!
You need RCD protection before the consumer unit.

Sponsored Links
A IP rated CU unit has been installed at a caravan site,
Has it? Jolly good!

which is screwed to a fence,
They should have sellotaped it to a bush.

but you have to climb over the fence to get to it
I have to climb down stairs to get to mine.

If I'm upstairs.

and there is a 8foot drop into a beck right below the CU!
WOW!

There is onlt approx 1 foot of ground to stand on in front of the CU
Don't stand there if you have big feet then, you twerp.

and then in has a drop into the beck,
Life is full of disappointments.

where you need to stand to be able to check CU is covered with undergrowth and is very slippy.
Hold on tight, then.... :rolleyes:

I'm concerned that if something trips, then whoever goes to trip it back in will fall into beck!
We are all very touched by your concern.

Can you lend me a couple of grand?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back