RCD problem...nuisance tripping

Pumps?

Ah - you're growng it hydroponically I guess?

Is it any good?

'cos all that Dutch hydroponic fruit and veg in the supermarkets is complete tasteless carp...

Sponsored Links
you could probably just fit the crabtree board with 10mA rcbo's in the right rating....

do they do 30mA type-S rcd's? you could just swap the main one with a time delay 30mA if they do...

Ah - smart move.

Don't want to attract attention by buying lots of fertiliser....

Sponsored Links
you could probably just fit the crabtree board with 10mA rcbo's in the right rating....

do they do 30mA type-S rcd's? you could just swap the main one with a time delay 30mA if they do...

im thinking thats a better way to go... or get a new CU installed with the correct RCD.

also can i get the main RCD replaced with a 30ma Time delayed as well.. would that help.

It depends on the reason for the provision of 30mA RCD protection wether or not a time delayed is allowed, if it is to protect sockets etc then only a standard 30mA is allowed.

As for the insulating kit, you'll have to ask Merlin Gerin if one is available for your board.

... or get a new CU installed with the correct RCD.
Perhaps a new CU in place of the Crabtree might be the best option, with a few RCBO's thrown around the place. At least if you get nuisance tripping then you won't lose all your circuits.

i understand that the sockets need to be protected by a 30ma RCD and will make sure this is done if anythings changed, via RCBOS etc.

but from my point of view the main 30ma RCD will need to be changed for a 100ma 100amp TD RCD, or it will keep tripping... even if i change the crabtree CU or RCD for a 30ma RCD.

have i got that right? would this be allowed?

thanks alot for everyones input.

to make matters worse, our mains water has frozen underground over night....'again'..!

:(

Basically you need discrimination between RCDs, a 100mA Type S (time delayed) will discriminate with a bog standard 30mA RCD.
The only issue is once you have removed the 30mA device that any of the connected circuits will be no longer compliant. The 30mA device is in the meter tails so will not be isolatable unless you have an upstream isolator.
I think you need to have an electrician in to look at the setup and make the decisions.

Basically you need discrimination between RCDs, a 100mA Type S (time delayed) will discriminate with a bog standard 30mA RCD.
The only issue is once you have removed the 30mA device that any of the connected circuits will be no longer compliant. The 30mA device is in the meter tails so will not be isolatable unless you have an upstream isolator.
I think you need to have an electrician in to look at the setup and make the decisions.

all circuits, or just sockets? as already said, i would make sure all poss socket curcuits where protected by a 30ma RCDs/RCBOs.

why wouldnt a new 100ma 100amp TD rcd be the main isolator..?as the current 30ma is...(so ive been told on here).

my plan is to get replaced the current 30ma RCD with a 100ma TD RCD.

Under the 17th edn regs all unprotected circuits in a domestic situation concealed in a wall or partition less than 50mm should be 30mA RCD protected.
For example if a lighting circuit is wired in twin and earth and burried in the wall near the surface it should be on a 30mA RCD.
If the cabling is installed in SWA, pyro or in earthed metal conduit, trunking or not concealed it doesn't need to have 30mA protection for this purpose.

I still believe where an isolator is provided for the purpose of isolation that it needs to kill all lives in a TT system.

The incoming side of your 30mA RCD will be live, even with it switched off.

and the incomming side of your main switch in the fuseboard at home will be live even when switched off... what's that got to do with it?

at some point there's going to be a switch or fuse that's live on the incomming side when switched off..

Under the 17th edn regs all unprotected circuits in a domestic situation concealed in a wall or partition less than 50mm should be 30mA RCD protected.
For example if a lighting circuit is wired in twin and earth and burried in the wall near the surface it should be on a 30mA RCD.
If the cabling is installed in SWA, pyro or in earthed metal conduit, trunking or not concealed it doesn't need to have 30mA protection for this purpose.

I still believe where an isolator is provided for the purpose of isolation that it needs to kill all lives in a TT system.

The incoming side of your 30mA RCD will be live, even with it switched off.

ok thanks, clears that up.

as the other circuits are non domestic out buildings supplied in SWA from the main fuse box, will they comply with the 100ma RCD?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back