Safe Route and Lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Looking for any advice if possible please.

I am adding a couple of wall lights from the lighting circuit to my new garden room. I want to run a cable that traverses the proposed bifold doors underneath the lintel, so, two lights from one switched live switch, standard stuff.

Is it fine to attach the cable to the lintel once it's packed with plasterboard and before the dot and dab, assuming suitable distance from ceiling to comply with regs?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20220504_130616.jpg
    20220504_130616.jpg
    449.6 KB · Views: 127
Sponsored Links
When it comes to doing electrics, either employ a qualified electrician or go on the courses to become a qualified electrician.

Is it fine to attach the cable to the lintel once it's packed with plasterboard and before the dot and dab, assuming suitable distance from ceiling to comply with regs?

Thanks!
What reg would that be? Put the cable inside the lintel.

.... I am adding a couple of wall lights from the lighting circuit to my new garden room. I want to run a cable that traverses the proposed bifold doors underneath the lintel, so, two lights from one switched live switch, standard stuff. .... Is it fine to attach the cable to the lintel once it's packed with plasterboard and before the dot and dab, assuming suitable distance from ceiling to comply with regs?
If I understand you correctly ... if the cable were (for all its length) within 150mm of the ceiling (which is 'safe zone'), then the answer is yes. If further from the ceiling than that, it would only be compliant with regs if it were entirely within a safe zone created by some electrical accessory/fitting in line with the cable (same distance from floor or ceiling) at one or both ends of the cable run.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Hi All

I am adding a couple of wall lights from the lighting circuit to my new garden room. I want to run a cable that traverses the proposed bifold doors underneath the lintel, so, two lights from one switched live switch, standard stuff.

Thanks!

wouldn’t you just take the cable vertically from the light switch, around the ceiling void, then down to the wall light?

If I understand you correctly ... if the cable were (for all its length) within 150mm of the ceiling (which is 'safe zone'), then the answer is yes. If further from the ceiling than that, it would only be compliant with regs if it were entirely within a safe zone created by some electrical accessory/fitting in line with the cable (same distance from floor or ceiling) at one or both ends of the cable run.

Kind Regards, John

Yep perfect thanks for the helpful reply, that was my interpretation.

... and, in addition, don't bother to participate in a "DIY electrics" forum.

Kind Regards, John
It's the DIY approach that makes people put cables in cavities etc.. rather than in correct places. SO when you come to fit Type E cavity trays because of an extension, makes cutting bricks out more annoying.

Also, which derp would put a cable in a lintel?

I recently did an extension where the previous house owner did his own electrics. What a mess. I wholeheartedly recommend to anyone if they need to ask which direction wires should be placed, what sized fuse, what size wire, shall I splice it in here, can I extend this etc.. get an electrician rather than perform an electrical abortion on their house.

Construction should be taken seriously, especially electrics.

It's the DIY approach that makes people put cables in cavities etc.. rather than in correct places. SO when you come to fit Type E cavity trays because of an extension, makes cutting bricks out more annoying.
That (and many other specific issues) may be generally true (although there are plenty of cases of 'qualified electricians' putting cables in cavities or otherwise "performing electrical abortions"). However, my response was to your very general comment ...
When it comes to doing electrics, either employ a qualified electrician or go on the courses to become a qualified electrician.
... you're obviously entitled to that view but, as I implied, if such is your view, you probably should not contribute to a "DIY electrics" forum. Indeed, for what it's worth, if I were running such a forum, I don't think I would tolerate someone whose 'contribution' was to tell people not to do DIY electrical work.

Kind Regards, John

Hi All

Thanks!
Looking at your photo you appear to be outside the prescribed zone. You can run the cable above the lintel.

Looking at your photo you appear to be outside the prescribed zone. You can run the cable above the lintel.
We obviously don't have precise information. However, when the OP wrote (with my emboldening) ...
... I want to run a cable that traverses the proposed bifold doors underneath the lintel ... Is it fine to attach the cable to the lintel once it's packed with plasterboard and before the dot and dab, assuming suitable distance from ceiling to comply with regs?
... it seemed that he was probably aware of the 150 mm 'safe' zone at the top of the wall (which I also 'reminded' him about in post #4). The lintel does look fairly tall, but, if the joists are going to sit on it, maybe he had worked out that the bottom of the lintel would be <150 mm from the finished ceiling height?
... You can run the cable above the lintel.
He could, but if the joists are going to sit on that lintel, then every single one would presumably have to be drilled - and, rather inconveniently, (if I understand the rules/guidance correctly) at least 25% of the span from the wall.

The OP hasn't explained what's happening at the ends of this cable but (as I also said in post #4), if (as seems far from impossible), there is going to be some light fitting or accessory at one end of it, that would presumably create a 'safe' zone for it, wouldn't it?>

Kind Regards, John

I was replying to jc86 and merel referred to the amount of space above the lintel. There are 4 courses of brick with mortar courses, so around 300mm. If he is fitting joists and a ceiling, the lintel will be within the prescribed (not safe) zone of 150mm. If he is fitting a polycarb roof with nothing between the lintel and the top of the wall it will be non-compliant to run the cable at lintel height. Either option is possible.

I was replying to jc86 and merel referred to the amount of space above the lintel. There are 4 courses of brick with mortar courses, so around 300mm. If he is fitting joists and a ceiling, the lintel will be within the prescribed (not safe) zone of 150mm. If he is fitting a polycarb roof with nothing between the lintel and the top of the wall it will be non-compliant to run the cable at lintel height. Either option is possible.
Fair enough, but who knows? Whilst there are, indeed, four courses of bricks above the lintel, I was thinking ('assuming', I suppose - which is always dangerous!) that the joists would be resting on the lintel (the top of which appears level with the internal blockwork), in which case the finished ceiling height (hence 'top of wall') would be appreciably below the top of the lintel, maybe enough for the bottom of the lintel to be within 150mm of 'the top of the wall'.

However, as said, that's all speculation.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back