cable routing behind plasterboard

3mm capping really would be something! Even though like most things its far flimsier (is that a word?) these days, its never been anywhere near that :D

(For comparison a metal k/o box is probably in the region of 0.8mm...well the appleby one I have to hand seems to be, theres probably 0.6 out there is you buy cheap)

Sponsored Links
Nearer to 0.3 than 3, I should imagine for the current stuff. Older stuff a bit thicker, possibly upto double?

Its a strange effect, people have a tendancy to over estimate material thicknesses inititality, its somewhat universal :S

Well built switchgear sometimes has a gland plate in the region of 3mm, it takes a bit of drilling to get through!

I just wanted to warn Godwinap that Doggit's advice was erroneous, without having to consult the British Library first.

How thick is it actually then?
Apart from not being earthed, it would provide compliant mechanical protection were it 3mm - that's thicker than the walls of steel conduit....

Sponsored Links
Sorry, my reply missed something...

Capping of course doesnt protect the rear of the cable, at all. Conduit of course is all encompassing.

If the wall is more than 50mm thick then the rear of the cable is deemed to not need protecting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back