safe zone query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know there is a safe zone in a corner between two walls. But what if one of the walls in that corner is made up of a door and its frame?
To clarify a bit more see diagram below

safezone_at_door.jpg

Is the red area a safezone (within 150mm)?

Thanks
M

Sponsored Links
Yes, as it is still a wall. Is it between two rooms or just a saloon style door ie not full height ?

Yes, as it is still a wall. Is it between two rooms or just a saloon style door ie not full height ?

Yes its between two rooms, the kitchen and a small conservatory. The door is a full height door. There is about a foot of wall above the door.
Another thing the door or frame hasnt been fitted yet so it is effectively a straight wall at the moment. Can I put the electrics in this zone first then fit the door later or would the door need to be there first to make it a corner first?

Ideally before, but it's your call to definitely do sooner rather than later afterwards. I would suggest you don't otherwise you might forget the cables are in the vicinity when you fix the door frame !

Sponsored Links
Nothing electrical, just an observation about the positioning of your door.

If the hinged side is tight to the wall, it won't be long until the door handle leaves some lovely dents in the wall.

If it is to be hinged on the other side, same may happen to furniture etc placed close to the door, as you need to swing the door wide open to walk through it, or you end up damaging the decor as you sidle past a half open door.

Moving the doorway away from the straight wall even a small amount can ease both problems.

Nothing electrical, just an observation about the positioning of your door.

If the hinged side is tight to the wall, it won't be long until the door handle leaves some lovely dents in the wall.

If it is to be hinged on the other side, same may happen to furniture etc placed close to the door, as you need to swing the door wide open to walk through it, or you end up damaging the decor as you sidle past a half open door.

Moving the doorway away from the straight wall even a small amount can ease both problems.

Not considered how the door will go yet. At the moment its just an opening. The walls have been hacked back to bare stone so I have a few options. Thanks for pointing that out though.

Are you having any switches/sockets in line with the safe zones or are you just running cables from floor to ceiling on their way to other fixtures?
If you will have switches/sockets fitted then they automatically become identified as 'safe zones'.

Are you having any switches/sockets in line with the safe zones or are you just running cables from floor to ceiling on their way to other fixtures?
If you will have switches/sockets fitted then they automatically become identified as 'safe zones'.

no sockets and switches here

no sockets and switches here

Then I would say you should get the door frame in at least, thereby creating a 'corner'.
You can decide which way to hang the door later.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back