Safely dismantling light fixtures (capping wires)

Sponsored Links
This is Winstone reincarnated!
Has anyone else been playing along with the Winny bingo? ;)

LED tubes aren't as bright ✓
Lights are not on ring circuits ✓
WF100 cable ✓
Isolating switches not necessary on kitchen appliances ✓
TV's mounted too high ✓
13A sockets on lighting circuits ✓
AC doesn't have negative or positive ✓
Where is your photo from before you took the *item* apart? ✓

I'm still waiting on:
Plug tops
Fuse boxes
Incorrect MI's
The number of elements on a TV antenna
Hoovers

Has anyone else been playing along with the Winny bingo? ;)

LED tubes aren't as bright ✓
Lights are not on ring circuits ✓
WF100 cable ✓
Isolating switches not necessary on kitchen appliances ✓
TV's mounted too high ✓
13A sockets on lighting circuits ✓
AC doesn't have negative or positive ✓
Where is your photo from before you took the *item* apart? ✓

I'm still waiting on:
Plug tops
Fuse boxes
Incorrect MI's
The number of elements on a TV antenna
Hoovers
16A FCU

Yes PM's with 5 others.

Sponsored Links
Yes Lights COULD be on rings , i.e, wired like a ring final circuit, I knew one electrician who actually chose to wire them that way, he might have been the only one in the country who ever did that, there again it is possible that a very few did that, it certainly is uncommon. Unless I actually knew this fellow I would have tended to disbelieve it. But owt is possible.

Basically, lighting tends to be by three methods i.e. Looping in, looped in or joint box.
With looping & looped in in it`s a case whether the loop is at the light fitting or the switch, both have merits (and de-merits) , with joint box it`s a case of looping might be done at the joint box, actually a combination of 2 or all three is possible in any installation, that can sometimes make lighting circuits extremely complex even to the initiated.
Things like the "2 way hamburger" complicate things even more.
So, compliant and non compliant things can certainly conspire to make things difficult - Be Careful out there folks.
I have known Good Electricians stumped on some items, not everybody knows everything about everything.
The times I heard an seasoned pro exclaim "I never would have expected anybody to have done that!" could make me very rich at a £1 a time.

When you give advice to DIYers it can complicate things many-fold too.

To advise someone from scratch on how to install their own circuit can be one thing, to advise them on an existing installation can sometimes be far more complicated many fold.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back