safety and gas fire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
i have a gas fire, installed before the corgi + gas safe were up and running
the house has been mt for 25 years. the fire was working and safe when it was put in.
The problem i have is when the new combi central heating was installed last year the plumber cut off the supply to the gas fire in the front room, for no good reason i can see. He has now retired.
I want to have the pipes re-connected under the wooden floor in the kitchen before i tile the floor.
The fire has an inline service valve like you would have on water pipes tucked neatly out of sight below the fire. Will this need to be changed to one of those chrome isolating valves that sit at the side of the fire on the carpet. or is what i have up to todays standards.
I have a gas safe plumber lined up but need to know if i should ask him about the valve. The fire will be replaced in the near future.
Tom

Sponsored Links
If you have the gas pipe reconnected and properly capped off where the existing fire is, a new isolating valve and fire can be fitted at the same time at some point in the future. Valves are what 5 or six pounds I'd have a new one fitted if its not a gas cock that can be regreased.

You shouldn't need to tell him anyting. There is nothing wrong with a gas valve of the type you describe, per se, but It is his responsbility to ensure that the fire installation is safe and sound. Your problem is that the install will be regarded as a new installation and will have to comply with current regs. Technically, he shouldn't fit the fire without access to the MI's.

Having reread the post after I wrote the above, are you saying that you don't want the old fire working, and the valve is UNDER THE FLOOR, but are simply having the pipe reconnected? If this is the case, and the valve IS under the floor, then yes, point out he valve, as it shouldn't be under there anyway. Get the pipework altered, but expplain to the fitter your plans. It would be a good idea to prepare the opening etc for the new fire BEFORE you tile the floor.

If you intend to fit a fireplace, this is best done before the tiling is laid

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replys guys. sorry i have neglected replying until now but have been very busy and forgot to check the answers.

the cut off supply for the front room gas fire, is in the kitchen and needs re-connecting. This is what i need to get done before i tile the kitchen floor.
The valve i was referring to is in the front room beneath the fire but above the floor boards by approx 100mm (an in-line 15mm isolating valve)

The fire is going in the skip and i will sort out a new one and have it fitted as per regs by the gas safe plumber. what i was trying to avoid is getting him here only for him to say i can't do it as the isolating valve is not up to regs.
From your replys it seems safe to get him here and re connect the gas to the front room thus allowing me to tile the kitchen floor and i can sort the new fire later on.
I shall ask his advice now i have moved all the junk from the front room and can now actually see the wall.

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back