Sag in kitchen floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had an extension done in 2010. It was a new kitchen at the back of the existing house, with a basement below and a bedroom and bathroom above.

I've noticed over the last 12 months that there is a slight dip in one section of kitchen of the floor. I notice it when walking from one side of the room to the other.

The kitchen is about 5m wide, and 2/3 of the way across, there is a dip of around 3mm. The dip covers about a 1.5m wide part of the floor. You can see a small gap between the skirting and the floor tiles. The sag is towards the middle of the room, away from the edges.

Is this anything to be concerned about? I've had a look in the basement, and I can't see any evidence of movement in the ceiling. There aren't any noticeable cracks in the kitchen plaster, apart from a couple of very thin ones near the windows and doors. The main joists run lengthways, from the old part of the house towards the back garden.

Would this be a dip in the floor board? A problem with the joists? Sorry if this should've been posted in another section

Sponsored Links
Just sounds as though the joist are a bit under sized! Its safe enough but a bit untidy. Have you put a straight edge on the basement ceiling? I expect thats dipping as well.
Frank

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back