Salamander CT50 shower pump stopped working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I fitted a Salamander CT50+Xtra pump for our shower just over 4 years ago and it has worked very well since. This morning, though, it is not pumping the water properly when I turn the shower on - it just makes a humming noise and the shower has lost all force. I have checked to see whether the input filters might be blocked, but they are not. Is there anything else I might check, or is it simply a case of replacing it at this point? There have been no changes elsewhere (hot water, etc) which could explain the problem as far as I can tell, it does seem to be something specific to the pump.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the motor capacitor has gone. If it gets seriously hot with no water going through it that would reinforce the likelihood. However, don't let it run very long without pumping or you could burn it out.

You may be able to get a spare capacitor from Salamander. If not you could try an electronics site. You'd be looking for 10 microfarads, AC rated, 400V + (NOT 230V). You'd need to make sure the connections and physical size are the same. There are mains voltages involved, so only to be attempted if you know what you are doing.

Thanks for that. I think I've probably literally cooked it now, though, as smoke was coming out of it just now! So I think it's probably too late to go down the the capacitor route and I've decided to pick up a replacement pump instead.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back