Salamander power pump problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone had a problems with a Salamander power shower pump. Mine will not do 2 showers one after the other.

The first is OK, but the second one starts hunting, and will not pump correctly, after a while, about 20mins, it will start again, shower OK, but again wont work straight after.

It has about 6 ft of head, and the pump worked great for about 12 months, but all of a sudden I got these problems, and it hasnt changed since

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Check filters on in coming side of pump, secondly see if the motor becomes hotter to the touch during use (thinking motor is becoming weak).

Sponsored Links
The pump does become hotter, but you can touch it but its not uncomfortable
Is that during the first shower ?
You have to use it the same as you usually do, ie 2 showere at the usual length of time for each.

It gets warm after the 1st shower, but We cant usually get a shower for 20 mins after we have stopped the first, usually use it for about 2-5 mins.

It gets warm after the 1st shower, but We cant usually get a shower for 20 mins after we have stopped the first, usually use it for about 2-5 mins.
2-5 minutes? Jeez I thought I was fast at 10 :)

At that sort of time I guess we can rule out draining the water supply (y) so I guess it points towards a pump problem. Check the filters first.

I may have been quicker when I shower than I actually am, and usually the missus goes in first and she must be in for about 10 mins at least. If it is draining the water what could do about it?

If it keeps pumping but is cold then likely you’ve used all your hot water... check other hot outlets to see if you still have hot water. If not, then you need to cut down on the hot you’re using over a set period and maybe agree to shower at different times - or get a bigger/additional cylinder and/or do something to improve the recovery time of the hot water.
If the pump stops working but you still have hot water available at non-pumped outlets then it’s a problem with the pump and could be clogged filters or a sticking flow switch.

What is it pumping ? hot or cold or both ? and what is the model of pump ?

Either way as @dilalio says - it sounds like you're running out of hot or cold water. What are capacities of your hot & cold water storage ?. This doesn't explain why it has worked ok for 12 months though - unless you've only just started showering one after the other ?

We have hot water after every shower, but I can hear the CW tank filling up, while it starts to hunt, thats whyI wondered if the CW head being too low will make a difference. if I put a second Ball cock in, will it make the tank fill quicker, or do i have to put somethink like a mini pressure tank. Alternatively, Salamander do a pump with a mini pressure tank on it. Is it worthwhile puttong one of them in? I dont have negative head but it may be low after a shower.

But I will check the filters and other stuff youve told me to try first.

oh and by the way, it is a 3 bar pump that could serve two showers, (but we only use one at a time, kids have left home years ago).

and I have a 100 gallon cold water tank. We all used to shower at one time, (4 of us, on school days).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back