Salmon Rushdie knighthood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The decision by the Queen to confer knighthood on author Salmon Rushdie has upset some people in the Muslim world, Why knight him? he comes from India and lives in America, he wrote a book the no-one could read and caused a lot of unhappiness, the honors system is crap anyway but who are the people that decide who to knight, poor old Queenie is just doing what she is told but must be ****ed off with the people that decide who she should knight.
I'm not suggesting that we should Kowtow to the Muslim world but this seems designed to upset them what do you think?
anyone read that book? santanic wots its?

nice to see Kendor back
:D

Sponsored Links
'Tis a tricky one.

We shouldn't not give someone deserving a knighthood just because of the possible reaction but, personally, I can't see any reason why he should have been given a knighthood (and he's by no means alone there).

Therefore, given that the reaction is entirely predictable, I can only guess that giving him one was intended to be provocative. Maybe the government feel that the Muslim world hasn't given the Express and forums the world over enough to moan about lately, so had to stir it up a little ?

I seem to remember that Roger Moore went unhonoured for years, because it was felt there would be a public outcry about giving him one before tax-dodging anti-unionist weasel Sean Connery. I'm sure no-one would have noticed if Rushdie's name never came up to the top of the pile.

Surely with the fuss being made about knighthoods is it not time to drop this supposed honour,how can you compare Botham and all his charity work to rushdie and his litery work,still if the establishment are going to upset people why not give Dan Brown a honoury knighthood and see if this upsets the catholics.

I am glad he lives in the US .. Not happy about providing 24 hr. security for a wealthy chap.

Awards that Rushdie has won include the following:

-Booker Prize for Fiction
-James Tait Black Memorial Prize (Fiction)
-Arts Council Writers' Award
-English-Speaking Union Award
-Booker of Bookers or the best novel among the Booker Prize winners for Fiction
-Prix du Meilleur Livre Etranger
-Whitbread Novel Award (twice)
-Writers' Guild of Great Britain Award for Children's Fiction
-Kurt Tucholsky Prize (Sweden)
-Prix Colette (Switzerland)
-State Prize for Literature (Austria)
-Author of the Year (British Book Awards)
-Author of the Year (Germany)
-Mantua Prize (Italy)
-Premio Grinzane Cavour (Italy)
-Hutch Crossword Fiction Prize (India)
-India Abroad Lifetime Achievement Award (USA)
-Outstanding Lifetime Achievement in Cultural Humanism (Harvard University)
-Aristeion Prize (European Union)

'Other activities' A hint of influencing the younger writer there ... He puts it about a bit.
Tis a wonder old Maggie didn't slap a fatwa or two on him, he criticised her regime, as he saw it... alone he was not.
------------------
Comparisons .. Big Ian B walked £10 mil into identifiable charities.
That would take 10 workers on more than £25k net per annum (each) 40 yrs of graft donating all monies ... 400 man years. Not bad for a brilliant cricketer who probably, single handedly won the ashes in his pomp.

:)

Sponsored Links
Sean Connery shouldnt have to pay tax, he's the one true james bond and has saved us from evil tyrany countless times. ;)

Richardp said:
The decision by the Queen to confer knighthood on author Salmon Rushdie has upset some people in the Muslim world, Why knight him? he comes from India and lives in America, he wrote a book the no-one could read and caused a lot of unhappiness, the honors system is rubbish anyway but who are the people that decide who to knight, poor old Queenie is just doing what she is told but must be p****d off with the people that decide who she should knight.
I'm not suggesting that we should Kowtow to the Muslim world but this seems designed to upset them what do you think?
anyone read that book? santanic wots its?

nice to see Kendor back
:D
Couldn't work out if you were suggesting my alias is Salman Rushdie or not there :LOL: but thanks for the welcome :) hows things down south?

Richardp said:
Sean Connery shouldnt have to pay tax, he's the one true james bond and has saved us from evil tyrany countless times. ;)
Is that why he used to have run ins with the
Tax inSPECTRE?

Sponsored Links
Back