Salt from outside coming through to living area

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone help me? The salt appears to have come through from outside to the living room - paint and plaster is peeling off. I am going to decorate but haven't come across this before so I am not sure what to do?

Sponsored Links
You've got to sort the leak first or it'll keep on appearing.

Can someone help me? The salt appears to have come through from outside to the living room - paint and plaster is peeling off. I am going to decorate but haven't come across this before so I am not sure what to do?

Thanks Joe
The salt appears on an unused chimney breast on the outside does this mean there is a leak coming through?
Janet

Hi Janet

Have you got an air brick in the unused chimney breast or is the fire place still in place and your just not using it.

T :)

Sponsored Links
Hi Janet

Have you got an air brick in the unused chimney breast or is the fire place still in place and your just not using it.

T :)

Thanks T

The chimney is blocked totally don't think it has an air brick - do you think this could be the problem?

Janet

Hi Janet

Has been known before.

Go down near the skirting and drill 6 holes in what ever's there, keeping the holes close together so you can put a plastic air vent over them or one made out of plaster that you can stick on and paint oooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrr

If you think it will look to unsightly go at it from the alcove at the side of the fire place; you will need a very long drill bit, if not make a hole by removing a brick and what's behind it until your in the chimney area; This needs to be about 1m up the wall.

T

http://hubpages.com/hub/Painting-Tips-and-Tricks

Hi Janet

Has been known before.

Go down near the skirting and drill 6 holes in what ever's there, keeping the holes close together so you can put a plastic air vent over them or one made out of plaster that you can stick on and paint oooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrr

If you think it will look to unsightly go at it from the alcove at the side of the fire place; you will need a very long drill bit, if not make a hole by removing a brick and what's behind it until your in the chimney area; This needs to be about 1m up the wall.

T

http://hubpages.com/hub/Painting-Tips-and-Tricks[/QUOTE]

Thanks T that is really helpful I will post how I get on!!!

Janet

It needs to be open @ the top too :idea: Sometimes the chimney pots get removed and the flue sealed right over

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back