paint pelling from celling and stains leeching through

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
help please. I am in the middle of painting the celling on my living room and as i was applying the third coat, the paint just started peeling from the celling. the paint peeled away cleanly from an area about the size of a dinner plate and leaving what i assume was the old plaster. there is also a brown stain coming through the paint coats, i have put three coats on now and it is still coming through. any thoughts??

Sponsored Links
Sounds as if it is water stain due to an old leak. Water damage can loosen the existing paint so that when it is painted over it gets peeled off by the wet paint.
If this is the case, providing is has been repaired and is dry you can apply Zinsser Coverstain (or you can try oil based undercoat if you have some handy) to hide it.
Scrape off all loose paint and use a fine filler to feather the edges in. Sand lightly until smooth and dust off. You can then apply the Coverstain, allow to dry and re-paint the ceiling.

Sounds as if it is water stain due to an old leak. Water damage can loosen the existing paint so that when it is painted over it gets peeled off by the wet paint.
If this is the case, providing is has been repaired and is dry you can apply Zinsser Coverstain (
or you can try oil based undercoat if you have some handy) to hide it.
Scrape off all loose paint and use a fine filler to feather the edges in. Sand lightly until smooth and dust off. You can then apply the Coverstain, allow to dry and re-paint the ceiling.

Snap!! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back