Stains showing through painted floorboards.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm sure this has been asked before, so point me in the right direction if so!

Last week I painted our hallway floorboards, after a light sanding. I used B&Q's own white floor paint, and after 2 coats noticed some brown stains seeping through.

These stained patches weren't obvious before painting, I never noticed any damp or discolouration in these areas. After a 3rd coat of paint they're already working their way to the top again.

Has anyone any ideas what this could be, or how to overcome it?

I didn't use a primer, as neither of the floor paints I was considering buying suggested to use primer. I'm starting to think I should have done.

The plan was to add a 4th coat, cross my fingers for no stains and then lacquer the floor.

Any help appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Might be resin or any old spillage, I would give the areas a couple of coats of Zinsser BIN that should hold it back.

Im presuming the stain you are using is water based, this will not stop any stains coming through. An oil based primer / sealer will be needed first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back