1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Stain keeps showing through paint!

Discussion in 'Decorating and Painting' started by ax222s, 16 May 2020.

1. ax222s

ax222s

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi all,

Ive had a little bit of stain on a wall (caused by a little bit of damp). I used this to cover over it: https://www.zinsseruk.com/product/cover-stain/ . I also used it on anything that even resembled a blemish or stain on the other walls (scuffs really. NOT damp!). I then painted over it in the usual white emulsion.

I thought that would be job done. However, once it dried all the stains were back!! (I think because of the Zinsser Cover Stain!!). Ive given it another 3 coats of white emulsion and its still showing through! The wall looks like its got damp patches on it (it not damp!!!).

Its almost like I need to find a Cover Stain that covers over Zinsser Cover Stain!!

Can anyone offer a solution? Other than painting it all in Calico I cant think of one.
    Thanks

2. KenGMac

KenGMac

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    If it were me? I would have a go at a flat oil paint? not really a lot to loose??

Ken

3. opps

opps

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Coverstain is a good product. I think your emulsion is probably rubbish.

I once made the mistake of using Crown (not Crown Trade) white emulsion which was on special. I was repainting a client's rental property. After 4 coats I could still see the black scuff marks I was trying to cover. I binned the remaining 9 litres and purchased some Dulux trade matt emulsion which only required 2 coats.

4. ax222s

ax222s

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks guys. Ill take a photo of the paint Im using and see what you think. It probably is cheap rubbish.

5. Sponsored Links
  6. sparkwright

sparkwright

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Is it the original stain coming through, or is it the 'coverstain' you applied that is showing through?

Always best to use two coats of a stainblock IMO.

7. ax222s

ax222s

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Its the cover stain. It seems to have a very slight orange/yellow tinge to it which - unfortunately - makes it look like the wall has a damp issue! :(

8. ax222s

ax222s

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Ive just taken some photos. This is the white paint Im using to paint over the Cover Stain:

IMG_3471.JPG

Ive got these tins if they would be better? (These are obviously not white, but perhaps I will just do that one wall)

IMG_3472.JPG IMG_3473.JPG

9. opps

opps

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Coverstain is oil based- water cannot penetrate through it if properly applied (assuming you stirred it first). If the walls were damp the coverstain would eventually blister. In the absence of blistering it is pretty safe to assume that the emulsion that you used is rubbish.

Sponsored Links