Stain keeps showing through paint!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Ive had a little bit of stain on a wall (caused by a little bit of damp). I used this to cover over it: https://www.zinsseruk.com/product/cover-stain/ . I also used it on anything that even resembled a blemish or stain on the other walls (scuffs really. NOT damp!). I then painted over it in the usual white emulsion.

I thought that would be job done. However, once it dried all the stains were back!! (I think because of the Zinsser Cover Stain!!). Ive given it another 3 coats of white emulsion and its still showing through! The wall looks like its got damp patches on it (it not damp!!!).

Its almost like I need to find a Cover Stain that covers over Zinsser Cover Stain!!

Can anyone offer a solution? Other than painting it all in Calico I cant think of one.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
If it were me? I would have a go at a flat oil paint? not really a lot to loose??

Ken

Coverstain is a good product. I think your emulsion is probably rubbish.

I once made the mistake of using Crown (not Crown Trade) white emulsion which was on special. I was repainting a client's rental property. After 4 coats I could still see the black scuff marks I was trying to cover. I binned the remaining 9 litres and purchased some Dulux trade matt emulsion which only required 2 coats.

Thanks guys. Ill take a photo of the paint Im using and see what you think. It probably is cheap rubbish.

Sponsored Links
Is it the original stain coming through, or is it the 'coverstain' you applied that is showing through?

Always best to use two coats of a stainblock IMO.

Its the cover stain. It seems to have a very slight orange/yellow tinge to it which - unfortunately - makes it look like the wall has a damp issue! :(

Ive just taken some photos. This is the white paint Im using to paint over the Cover Stain:

IMG_3471.JPG

Ive got these tins if they would be better? (These are obviously not white, but perhaps I will just do that one wall)

IMG_3472.JPG IMG_3473.JPG

Its the cover stain. It seems to have a very slight orange/yellow tinge to it which - unfortunately - makes it look like the wall has a damp issue! :(

Coverstain is oil based- water cannot penetrate through it if properly applied (assuming you stirred it first). If the walls were damp the coverstain would eventually blister. In the absence of blistering it is pretty safe to assume that the emulsion that you used is rubbish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back