Salus Automatic BPV leaking right now - Please help.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been a bit silly. I've been trying to troubleshoot as to why one of my rads isn't working.

Now I've been an idiot and touched something I shouldn't have.
I have one of these - http://www.salus-tech.com/automatic-by-pass-valve.html

I twisted the black gauge a turn or two, then it started leaking. After retwisting it, it continued to leak. Then I pulled the black gauge a little and it popped off. Now, no matter what I do it insists on dripping.

Please, any advice would be great. And feel free to call me a total prat.
:oops:

Sponsored Links
How can I call you a prat. Even pros touch things and they start to leak.
At least you tried!
Turn the valve back to where it was.
Put a bucket underneath to catch the leak.
Turn your heating on and hopefully the leak will stop all by itself.
If it doesnt the said valve will need replacing, with a better quality product.
Have you a trv on the rad that is not working? If so look up freeing up trv in faqs.
If not try tuning off all the working rads and force the heating circulation through your naughty rad.
Good luck!

Your name isn't Goldberg by any chance :rolleyes:

The black nut should be tight, without splitting it.

I would be tempted to take the system pressure down to zero before playing with it, just in case it pops off :idea:

Thank you for your replies guys. I have indeed been reading this great forum with regard to my chilly radiator and their odd behavior.

Anyways, now I've cleaned up the mess in my pants, time for more rational thought.

The black and red parts seem to be simply a gauge of the adjustment of the valve. I was attempting to adjust it because I've eliminated other possibilities from other threads I've read. The plastic parts have become heat fatigued and broken. I've put the valve back to where it was, and the leak has finally stopped. Phew!

Is it common for the valves to temporarily leak when adjusting them, or does mine require any sealant for when I switch the heating back on?

Sponsored Links
Hmmm, it now slowly drips when the CH is on. Even though it's back to where it started before knob ache here touched it.

All I'm gonna do is count the threads, adjust it out, wind some PTFE tape on it, and then adjust it back in. I can only guess it's a crap valve, and had thread lock or similar on it when installed?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back