Salus RT500RF frost protection setting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys. Just a quick question. I've had the Salus for a year now, and all is well. I've never really looked into the frost protection setting.

I don't really bother much with programmed settings, other than one morning a week during this colder time of year where I set the radiators in my bedroom and the heated towel rail in the bathroom to come on at 6am to reach 23c and go off at 7am (set to 8c) which is when I leave the house. All other times, I just manually set a temperature to heat the room up I'm in. So all other programmed settings I've currently put at 8c, which leaves the heating off.

The manual says:

"While Frost Protection is activated, it will override any programme settings until the mode is changed."

Surely if the temperature goes below 8c, the heating will kick in since those are my settings, so how would the frost protection override this? Do I need to bother with frost protection? What about in sleep mode, does frost protection kick in then?

Sponsored Links
I would just set your off periods to 10 degrees. You wouldn't want the place to get colder than that anyway.

Some people would argue to maintain at least a 14/16 degree temp so that you do not need to raise the temp too high to reach a comfort setting for when you are there

I would just set your off periods to 10 degrees. You wouldn't want the place to get colder than that anyway.

Some people would argue to maintain at least a 14/16 degree temp so that you do not need to raise the temp too high to reach a comfort setting for when you are there

Thanks terry. Interesting point you make about minimum temp of 10c (and I've just now increased my off period to 10c for all 7 days). Would that be to stop things like dampness building up in my flat? It's a ground floor flat btw. And so, no need to bother with frost protection then?

The point is not to let the fabric of the building get too cold but to maintain a set back temp.

Then it doesn't require a much energy to raise the property to your comfort level.

Some engineers suggest on off periods and some set back temps, I'm sure someone be along in a minute to contradict :p

It's better to maintain a low temp in all rooms to stop damp, so don't turn any rads off, even if you do not use those rooms

Sponsored Links
The point is not to let the fabric of the building get too cold but to maintain a set back temp.

Then it doesn't require a much energy to raise the property to your comfort level.

Some engineers suggest on off periods and some set back temps, I'm sure someone be along in a minute to contradict :p

It's better to maintain a low temp in all rooms to stop damp, so don't turn any rads off, even if you do not use those rooms

Ah right, thanks for the explanation.
Well, I do have most of the rads turned off so that when I manually use the Salus to heat a room up, it doesn't waste gas in the rooms I'm not using. Assuming the other rooms haven't gone below 10c (and I'll monitor this with the Salus room temp display readings), I'm guessing that's ok? But as we head into deeper winter and the temps might plummet, I guess I'm going to have to keep them all on. But I have been ocassionally turning on all rads in all rooms especially when I'm drying clothes. I have humidistat fans on when I do that.

may have been answered but here goes when the frost settings kick in an boiler comes on. does the frost setting automaticly revert to stand by when temp rises or does boiler stay on untill i reset it back to frost setting
TIA Jim

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back