Salus RT500RF Programmable Room Stat Questions

Right am I being thick, or can this unit do the following -

at 7am switch the boiler on and heat the house (up to the set temperature)
at 8am switch the boiler off - as in OFF OFF (not just stop heating the CH water)

at 8pm switch the boiler on and heat the house (up to the set temperature)
at 11pm switch the boiler off - as in OFF OFF

Yes?

I understand that the point of the thermostat is to only fire up the gas when the temperature is below the set-point and that I can have different temperatures set at the "on" time.

G

Also, if Leedsplumber wants to email me the simple English guide, I will stick it on my web space so that anyone can download it easily.
You can send it to diynot attttt the-dairy.com

Sponsored Links
I have done as instructed in this post by programming as Leeds plumber suggested. I have just had a Remeha boiler fitted too - but the heating stayed on all night. In the end I just had to switch off the central heating system in the boiler. This can't be right can it? I'm assuming the boiler needs to be on for the thermostat to work? I'm so confused!

Leeds plumber or someone else could you email me the easy instructions for the Salus thermostat? THANKS! My email is [email protected]

from Lead plumber

The reason the stat is coming on during the night/ always being on is setting number 5, there are 5 settings on the Salus

1 is the time you want heating on eg, 07.00 and set the temp (20)

2 is the time you want it to go off eg, 10.00 and set the temp (10 this will turn it off)

3 is the time to come on an evening eg. 17.00 and set the temp (20)

4 is the time you want it to go off eg, 23.00 and set the temp (10 this will turn it off)

5 the problem many people have is that they do not set number 5 correctly, this is a night/ frost stat and if you don't set the time and temperature same as 4 ie, 23.00 and 10*c then the heating will stay on.

I have had quite a few customers who struggle with the instructions so i typed it out in plain English as a word document and give it to them so its easier, if you want send me your e-mail address and i will mail it to you.

Can you please please send me your instraction.. [email protected]

The reason the stat is coming on during the night/ always being on is setting number 5, there are 5 settings on the Salus

2 is the time you want it to go off eg, 10.00 and set the temp (10 this will turn it off)

4 is the time you want it to go off eg, 23.00 and set the temp (10 this will turn it off)

5 the problem many people have is that they do not set number 5 correctly, this is a night/ frost stat and if you don't set the time and temperature same as 4 ie, 23.00 and 10*c then the heating will stay on.

I have had quite a few customers who struggle with the instructions so i typed it out in plain English as a word document and give it to them so its easier, if you want send me your e-mail address and i will mail it to you.

Can you please please send me the word document for instruction at [email protected] ? Many Thanks

Sponsored Links

:D quote="LeedsPlumber";p="1112915"]The reason the stat is coming on during the night/ always being on is setting number 5, there are 5 settings on the Salus

I have had quite a few customers who struggle with the instructions so i typed it out in plain English as a word document and give it to them so its easier, if you want send me your e-mail address and i will mail it to you.[/quote]

Can you please please send me the word document for instruction at [email protected] ? Many Thanks[/quote]

Isn't it time that the simple English instructions from Leeds Plumber were copied into the FAQ and the Wicki ?

Tony

I don't find these instructions especially helpful. In fact they are downright misleading. All that stuff about on and off times and the fifth zone having to be the same as the fourth zone is a load of rubbish.

The thing to get your head around with this Salus controller is that it is "on" all the time. There is no off setting except for the "sleep mode" which you can invoke manually. That time is divided into 5 chunks for each day, and each chunk has its own temperature. For time chunks where you would want a simple on/off system to be on, you set the temperature to the level you want to be sitting in, perhaps 20C.

For those time chunks you would traditionally want the heating to be off, you set the temperature low. This is called a setback by the intelligent controller geeks. It is a temperature that the house can drop to and still recover to your desired temperature in a reasonable period. It is a temperature warm enough that your pipes don't freeze. It is a temperature warm enough that you don't get condensation all the time because the walls are cold. Very often it will mean that the heating is off all during that time chunk, but in extremely cold weather the heating may come on to maintain the setback temperature of perhaps 10C.

There is also a frost setting which you might use when on holiday. The thermostat goes to 5C 24/7 until you switch the frost setting off again. There is also a temporary override feature where you can change the thermostat temperature manually. The temporary override will revert to the programmed setting automatically when you hit the next time chunk.

Is that simpler or am I fooling myself?

That last posting is getting towards the problem.

You must understand that a prog stat does NOT have any ON or OFF times.

INSTEAD it has temperature CHANGE times.

After an evening at 21° watching TV it then changes the pemperature setting to 10° for overnight.

The house temperature will gradually fall. If it falls BELOW 10° the the boiler will fire up until it reaches 10°.

Surely thats not a difficult concept to understand?

Tony

hi leeds plumber, I would be really grateful if you could also send me the easy instructions ! my mail address is [email protected] I understand this unit now that I have read all the mails on here but would love to have some easy instructions aswell.
thanks
sophie

hi

i have been using this for the last 3 years but the buttons have become very hard to use.

i have bought a new one but want to set the controller up without installing the new rf box.

i am getting really confused with how to marry them up?

can anyone post a simple step by step guide to doing this please?

any help appreciated.

You want to use the new transmitter with the old receiver? Simples. They have a programmable address code setting. You just need to set the new transmitter to the same one as the old transmitter. There are five jumpers on the back, and one of them should be removed. Set your new transmitter the same way and it should talk to the receiver. This is supposed to be done with the batteries out. You need to press reset to sync them up and then it should all work, fingers crossed. Best to do all this after you take the batteries out of the old unit to avoid confusion.

hi thanks for the reply

it's still not working

all the jumper things are in the back of my old remote?

so i don't know which one was originally removed to set it up!

Hah! You need to examine the receiver, which has dip switches that need to be set to correspond to the transmitter setting. Don't change them, just see which one is set and then take that jumper off on the back of your controller.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back