Samsung 1Tb Storybook Failure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

My Samsung 1 Tb Storybook has failed to power up. I have checked all the connections and they seem fine. Checked the mains adapter with a multimeter and everything is fine.

How can I get the what I think is a SATA Disk to power up enough for me to retrieve the data on it?

Are there any Power / Signal cables out on the market that can allow me to do this with a USN connection etc?

Many Thanks.

Caesar

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Do you mean the Samsung Story Station 1TB External HDD?

412y-v6AhlL._AC_SY580_.jpg

I believe it has a 3.5" SATA HDD inside.

Do you have a PC, or a laptop?
If you have a PC, the simplest way to connect it, would be to use the internal SATA and power connectors within the PC.

If you have a laptop, you may need a USB to SATA adapter with an external power supply. This is due to the physical size of the disc.
You could get an external caddy - similar to what you have already, or you could have something like:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Benfei-Drive-Adapter-Optical-Support/dp/B07JGT17B8

Even with these, I'm afraid if the HDD didn't work in the Story Station, there is no guarantee that it will work with another adapter.

If you have essential files stored on the drive, and no backups, you may have to pay for a data recovery service.

I hope that makes sense, good luck! :)

Sponsored Links
Lots of external cable kits from £5 available .
Yes, though do you mean cables connecting to the internal SATA and power from the PC, or USB3 to SATA adapters?
If you mean a USB adapter, I wouldn't recommend anything that comes at £5, as a 3.5" drive also needs an external PSU :)

Yes, though do you mean cables connecting to the internal SATA and power from the PC, or USB3 to SATA adapters?
If you mean a USB adapter, I wouldn't recommend anything that comes at £5, as a 3.5" drive also needs an external PSU :)
Have used mine for years , cost £3 including power supply .

Back