Country
United Kingdom
Am in the process of new pc below is the spec
1. mobo msi 99oxa-gd55 amd fx
2.ssd 120 gb ocz agility3
3.processor amd predriver fx8320/8350 black edition
4.hard drive 2 tb sata111 6gb
5. o/s Win 8
A novice so any help/advise will be appreciated.
my questions:
1. Is it ok to have ssd and sata hard disk together will they be compatible and behave and not crash?
2. Does it mean that everything will be loaded on the ssd and sata h/d will be back up and store just data? (never had pc with two disk)Perhaps somebody can explain in lay mans language how this will work in practice
Does it also mean when ssd has crash everything including software is on the sata h/d?
3.Do i need to add Raid configuration (mirror) as i have that option?
thanking in advance.

Sponsored Links
I've got something similar - a SSD for the OS and some programs, and a separate SATA disk with two partitions (programs and files) - so effectively a C, D and E drive

Windows and a few of the programs I need the most speed from are installed on the SSD (ie C) , and then less important programs are on drive D. Drive E is for data files only ie the "My Documents" folder

I separated the programs because at the time, higher capacity SSD's were expensive. Today, I think I would get a 250gb SSD and put all the programs on it instead

I also set the SATA drive to power down when not in use, and this reduces noise. Combined with a quiet power supply, and the machine is virtually silent

You should not get any problems with your two-drive set up

I would not bother with raid for a home PC, you will get no advantage. If you did, you would need two identical HD's

• Thanks
Reactions: ih
I have a similar setup too, albeit still on windows 7.
No problem using the SSD to run the OS but tend to try to use the normal hard disks for programs and storage, I have a pair of identical hard disks as the second (D drive) in a raid stripe configuration (and also a NAS which is used to backup important files) which works fine.
Windows on its own along with a few programs tends to eat the smallish capacity SSD. In less than a year has eaten 60GB of my 120GB SSD!

Sponsored Links
It was in an attempt to get more speed out of the drive, don't know if it has made any difference. The second drive consists of a pair of 7200rpm 500gb hard disks these being identical.

Back