1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Samsung 65in LED damaged

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by Wildboyo, 20 Nov 2019.

1. Wildboyo

Wildboyo

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I was wondering what to do with my tv. We had a couple of reflectors come loose, so had the two small white spots on the screen. This didn’t bother us to much, as you seem to not notice them so much after a while.
    We had our lounge re-plastered, so I needed to remove the tv from the wall. When lifting it off the coax cable got caught on the bracket and snapped the aerial socket off the tv.
    So we currently can’t use the tv. I don’t want to just scrap it.
    Any suggestions what to do with it? It cost about £1800 4 years ago, you could probably pick up the equivalent now for less than a grand. Will most likely buy a new one, but wanted to recoup a bit of money if possible, as if repaired, would make a perfectly good tv for someone.
    Any suggestions on places that might buy it or should I put it on ebay/gumtree, or any other ideas?

Thanks

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Sponsored Links
  3. Lucid

Lucid

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The coax socket may well be repairable; the LED reflector too, but the risk of damaging the screen during the repair is much higher with these large screens.

There are repairers who will take on the work. There's a FM I know based in Cornwall who now does nothing but TV repairs, so the demand is there. You may well have someone close to you. Look on FB and possibly Gumtree.

Selling the TV as spares or repairs locally is an option, but you won't get lots for it. The risk is all on the buyer's shoulders, and you're up against the cheap 65" TVs from supermarkets / Argos etc. There's nothing stopping you searching ebay for completed listing though to get an idea of price.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. dhutch

dhutch

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yeah, do some googling, find a TV repair guy. They still exist and are often quite reasonably priced. Hifi repair is another thing to search for.

5. SFK

SFK

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  6. Wildboyo

Wildboyo

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks SFK. Can you still use the Samsung hub, without the aerial? Just using the WiFi.

7. SFK

SFK

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Not sure what a samsung Hub is, but presume it is the smart part of the TV.
    So yes, the TV works perfectly with all the functions, including Smart, YouTube, browser, BBC Player etc when it is not connected into the Aerial but is connected to the Wifi.
    The only problem is that there are no 'live' TV channels on the Digital TV button.

This is exactly how mine works as I have nothing in the Aerial, a Satellite decoder box plugged in to HDMI for live TV and TV connected to Wifi for Smart TV.

SFK

Last edited: 22 Nov 2019
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Sponsored Links