Samsung American Fridge Freezer - lokrings or brazing or..?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have the abovementioned fridge/freezer which began to make a noise and stopped freezing. We called an engineer and he diagnosed the compressor was gone. The second time they came back they had the new compressor but said the pipework was a non standard size so they had to go away to get more fittings. Finally they returned and tried to fit the new compressor but when he went to crimp the fittings the one on the fridge side of the 'dryer filter' broke twice. Each time he had to cut it off which meant less and less pipe to work with and ultimately told me now we need a new fridge. Is this true? I am confused why the 2 remaining disconnected pipes ends are nowhere near each other. Can anyone shed any light on this? I am not sure where the fault lies here, engineer or fridge - opinions please? Any advice on possible solutions appreciated. Hopefully Ill manage to attach pictures here and they will make sense to someone!

View media item 68825 View media item 68826 View media item 68827View media item 68828[youtube][/youtube]

Sponsored Links
Ok so I am told the engineer was attempting to use lokrings to make the repair. Is this the 'industry' standard these days or where needs must should brazing be used?

Lokrings yes brazing no. In short he's butchered it. You need a new dryer then it will be ok. It's like copper piping in your plumbing if cut too short you need a new piece of pipe work.

Lokrings yes brazing no. In short he's butchered it. You need a new dryer then it will be ok. It's like copper piping in your plumbing if cut too short you need a new piece of pipe work.
Thanks for the reply. The problem is he has now used up any pipe available for a connection. The pipe now disappears into the fridge above which is behind a panel which doesn't seem easily removed. In your opinion is there still a chance to repair that? What I am puzzled by is if the lokrings kept breaking is it not a sign they are the incorrect fit / size for the pipework in hand. He delayed fitting the new compressor as he had to get the right connections he said so I am thinking he just did not have the correct parts. Why else would the lokrings shear in the middle?

Sponsored Links
If the pipe work disappears into the cabinet then no chance of repairing it. Differant size Lokrings are used he's used the wrong size. That's why they kept breaking. Sounds like he's fresh out of school and not had proper training , if he had brazed it the fridge has gas in it you won't have a house left.

Thanks again. Do you get lokrings with 2 different size connections on each side. Come to think of it, because he kept cutting off the failed connections (making the pipwork shorter each time) to me it meant it was fixing itself to the fridge side but not to the drier side which he had also brought with him. Do these pipe sizes need to match exactly or can you 'step' between sizes? Unfortunately its a case if me needing to tell them what they did wrong!

Need to match exactly , bit like rawl plugs and screws too big screws won't hold

There's a knack well mainly down to experience really to using the crimping tool for the lokring's if you crimp too fast or don't have the jaw's aligned properly then you can snap the lokring so my opinion is it was the engineer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back