Samsung American fridge tripping RCD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys ,
As the title suggests my 4 yr old Samsung fridge trips the RCD. Currys 'know how' came out to it and left saying it wasn't fixable. His diagnosis was that there was a fault on the wiring to the defrost heater or compressor which was short circuiting to earth. My daughter who was here at the time got the impression he wasn't interested. He said that the wiring would be incased in foam so wasn't repairable which I find hard to believe.

I'm more than happy to have a go myself of anyone has any pointers ? Pic.of offending fridge below

20201215_184127.jpg

Sponsored Links
I conclude with the repair man.

It likely needs a new compressor which I think involves de-gassing the refrigerant I believe.

Domestic repairers are unlikely to bother doing this, and domestic fridge freezers tend to be built as disposable.

If the fridge is only a year or 2 old domestic and general do a policy where they will come out to try and repair it and if they can't they'll give you a new equivalent.

It involves essentially an insurance policy and will set you back around £40 per month (might be more you will have to get a quote), but after 12 months you can cancel it.

I conclude with the repair man.

It likely needs a new compressor which I think involves de-gassing the refrigerant I believe.
What makes you think it's the compressor ? Looking online the far more likely culprit is the defrost heater.
Are you an appliance engineer ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back