Samsung fridge freezer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi our fridge freezer is on its own mcb and recently it has started to trip it,
So I contacted a no fix no fee repair company called repair care they sent an engineer out to check it ,he disconnected the heating elements and it still tripped so without taking the back off said it was the compressor which had to be authorised by repair care
Before he could order a new one, 3 weeks later after numerous calls he returned took the back off cut the pipes leading from the compressor and then said it needs an expansion bulb ,he left and said he would ask repair care to order one .Another 3 weeks
Passed and I have had an email from repair care saying they cannot source the part and will cancel the repair as per there terms and conditions.I rang them and said the engineer needs to return to reconnect the pipes to the compressor so I can get a second opinion to which they replied it might not be possible for him to do that‍♂️
Is that actually legal that he can leave it in bits and what is an expansion bulb
The model number is RS21NCNS
Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
What crime would he of committed by not reconnecting it? You have let him in willingly and not paid anything.

FYI I am not saying that sarcastically I am actually interested if someone knows if a crime has been committed.

Before he could order a new one, 3 weeks later after numerous calls he returned took the back off cut the pipes leading from the compressor and then said it needs an expansion bulb ,he left and said he would ask repair care to order one .Another 3 weeks

I do wonder why he could the pipes at all, which he shouldn't do anyway without extracting the refrigerant gas. Doesn't sound like someone who knows what they are doing, at all. If the compressor was faulty, they are a fairly standard part and easy to confirm it was the cause of the tripping MCB.

I would suggest the pipes were cut out of malice for a wasted journey.

Hi guys my wife was home when the engineer called and she says he cut the pipes to take away the expansion bulb he said it had been leaking I’ve uploaded a photo ,anyway it’s that part that there saying is obsolete .

Attachments

• 0A21C285-94A4-4BD0-B18F-5D5BEE7E7143.jpeg
    0A21C285-94A4-4BD0-B18F-5D5BEE7E7143.jpeg
    240.5 KB · Views: 294
Sponsored Links
That looks as if they have removed the condensor, the heat radiator which usually cover a large part of the back of a fridge or freezer. Such a leak, if it was in fact leaking, could have been fixed by brazing it by a half competent refrigeration engineer and refilled. If a new part had been obtainable, it would have needed to be brazed in anyway, so why not just fix the leak?

Any condensor which would fit and be big enough to sink the heat, would have worked.

I very much doubt such a leak would cause your MCB to trip though. The explanation just doesn't hang together. Curiouser and curiouser!

I would be inclined to take this further with the company and ask them for a full written explanation of the fault and their attempt to fix it.

Last edited:
Hi
I’ve managed to speak to the engineer he says he hasn’t removed anything and that he needed a new expansion bulb to complete the job which repair care are saying is obsolete I’ve uploaded a photo can anyone tell me if the part circled is the expansion bulb and what’s its purpose.

Attachments

• 93A09F79-9E74-4297-BE28-DB086D82EF57.jpeg
    93A09F79-9E74-4297-BE28-DB086D82EF57.jpeg
    251.6 KB · Views: 258
If you look at the back of any fridge or freezer, it will have a large radiator like condenser painted black and almost as big as the back of the unit. That seems to be completely absent in you photos, though none of your photos shows the entire rear of the unit - perhaps you could oblige with such a photo?

The bulb thingummy you have marked, I can only guess as to its purpose. My guess is that it is a dryer, to absorb any moisture in the system, once it has been built. A replacement would probably needed to be fitted, with any repairs to the refridgerent system. I will try and explore that some more..

Looking again at your photos - is that a fan there on the extreme right? If so that could well be the fan to cool the condenser.

If that is the case, I am back to square one. It is obvious those two pipes have been cut and something removed from the refrigeration circuit, but it is not electrical, so would not cause your MCB to trip. So it still doesn't hang together.

Is there any possibility that those two cut ends of pipe, might able to have one been joined as one pipe, rather than anything cut out of the pipe?

Hi Harry thanks for your quick reply,
It looks as if those two pipes could have been joined I’ve attached a pic of the back of the fridge freezer .

Attachments

• 281C25A0-9F39-4C74-9769-B878FD28F5FD.jpeg
    281C25A0-9F39-4C74-9769-B878FD28F5FD.jpeg
    169.8 KB · Views: 275

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back