Samsung LCD TV remote can't change channels etc.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, experts: Our Samsung LCD TV (model no. LE26R7, about 8 years old) has just begun failing to respond to the remote control. By using this, the TV will switch on, but the channels will not change. The channel that always shows on starting is BBC 1. However, the banner that says which channel it is does not disappear within a few seconds, is it ought to. It just stays displayed. Also, instead of almost immediately changing the word MONO to Stereo, the word Mono stays on the screen, and I know that this ought to disappear too.

Further, it is not possible to invoke the digital menu (maybe a system re-set, via this, would clear the trouble). Nor can it invoke the Channel Manager. The only thing that does appear is the Menu, by which details such as the picture, sound etc. are controlled — which is no help at all.

I have changed the batteries of the handset (though they were good, anyway). Also, I have pressed the Reset button at the bottom end of the handset, with no results.

Finally, without using the handset, I powered up the set by using the buttons at the side. This worked, but the channel problem was exactly the same in every respect. The only window that could be summoned was the irrelevant Menu window (none of the others, like Digital Menu etc.) So the trouble seems to be with the set, and not the handset.

If anyone can help me get this set to work as before, I should be most grateful. However, there is a further question: if the set is defective and needs to be repaired or replaced, would it be worth having it repaired? Or would it be good economy, perhaps, to buy a new set, after eight years of use?

The last thing I did with this set, the night before, was to accidentally press the Automatically Store New Channels, and, within seconds, to stop this (I had been selecting Favourites). The channels I had been storing were still showing in the Channel Manager, so no harm seems to have been likely from this woopsie.

With thanks in advance, to anyone that can offer constructive remarks of any kind,
A.W.

Sponsored Links
The last thing I did with this set, the night before, was to accidentally press the Automatically Store New Channels, and, within seconds, to stop this (I had been selecting Favourites). The channels I had been storing were still showing in the Channel Manager, so no harm seems to have been likely from this woopsie.
I think you might have corrupted the memory. I don't have an answer to that.

Otherwise, you might have failing capacitors. Take a look inside and see if any are bulging.
http://www.satcure.co.uk/reviews/satcure_blog_189.htm#samsung

You can pick up a new remote for your tv off amazon for just under 4 pounds. I wouldn't bother trying to have it repaired.

Sponsored Links
Sam:

I'm sure that you wrote something meant to be helpful. However, all that appeared was a line of inverted "V"s. Thanks, anyway. It was the set that was at fault, and a technician said that the memory had been corrupted, cause unknown (that's what you said about a week ago, isn't it). It cost £75.00 for the repair, but the set is fine, now.

Thanks to all that commented!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back