Smart TV Source Selection Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I have a Samsung smart tv which I'm delighted with in terms of pic and performance, but have one gripe...

The tv has a source/menu bar accessed through the 'home' button on the universal remote- it has sky/youtube/iplayer/netflix etc etc on it. They all select and play ok.

However, If I go to Netflix as an example, watch a prog and go back to Sky, this quirk happens...

I go back to Sky, the progrmme/channel I was last on comes back. Fine. I try to access the Sky menu- nothing. I up-click to change channel, and I find I'm not on Sky, but on another of the sources. I go back to sky via the source bar, and it's ok. I did think it was the one rougue programme 'kidnapping' the signal or something, so I removed it from the list. Now it happens with another source!

It's not world ending, but annoying. Any suggestions please? Ta.

CG

Sponsored Links
It's not entirely clear from your description, so if you can shine a little light on this it would be helpful: Do you think this is an issue with the way the TV menu itself works (i.e. a design quirk of the menu system), or do you think it's purely an issue with how the remote drives the TV? Also, is this universal remote a Samsung unit supplied as part of the TV or is it a 3rd party device such as a Harmony?

Lucid, it's a Samsung remote, and seems to do everything the tv and sky remotes can do. It appears to be the way the tv selects and moves between sources; rather than how the remote itself selects things. But I'm not sure. My daughter has the same make and the menus seem the same, so i'll ask her if she gets any problems. When I've hogged the do-dah (same as mine) at hers, I can say I haven't noteced this source jumping. Thanks for replying.

CG

Sponsored Links
If you're using the IR blaster then check its position on the Sky box

Also, Samsung's implementation of the IR codes is a bit flaky. If you're on Sky+HD, try setting up the TV again but this time choose Pace or Amstrad as the manufacturer rather than Sky.

Should you be on Sky Q, or using HDMI Control (CEC / Anynet+) then things get a little more complicated.

Sky is listed as the manufacturer for the Q box rather than Pace, Amstrad, Samsung, Thomson etc as it was with the older boxes. Q boxes also use a different set of IR codes for each function compared to the older boxes, so you can't fool the system by pretending that its an Amstrad Q Box; anything other than "Sky" + "Q" isn't a valid combination for IR control.

For HDMI Control, you're relying on Sky and Samsung both using a common set of descriptors, and also hoping that someone at Samsung sat down with a Q box and really started to learn how the thing works in practice rather than in theory. HDMI Control is okay when it works. But if there's some misunderstanding in the command protocols, then as an end user, there really isn't anything you can do to fix it.

The idea of having one remote to do it all is good. I sell, program, and install a variety of touch screen remotes to achieve just that. The difference is though that I thoroughly shakedown the system and bespoke it around the client's way of working. Off-the-shelf systems such as the Samsung can't do that. Nor will Samsung turn up at your house to refine something in case there's a minor alteration required. Then again, the Samsung remote isn't £300-£400 so one has to expect a few compromises.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back