Sand and cement coverage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello
I am doing a porcelain patio intend to lay a 4” concrete slab.
It’s going to be 40sqm and I am trying to work out how much sand and cement I wil require as will prob need to mix it on site
Thanks

Sponsored Links
4 cubic metres, you can search online for concrete calculator there are a few of them
Eg https://source4me.co.uk/calculate_concrete_mix.php
Although take the water quantity with a pinch of salt, disclaimer I've never used this site but there are plenty more.

I thought I’d ask here to get someone with experience in it. I am a tradesman but have no concept of concrete volume. Every different google search I did came back with something different. I will have a go at that site
Cheers

Oh in that case I'm not sure.
The ratio does depend on what kind of aggregate you're using, if it's building sand you would get through a lot more cement for the sand, but for a patio base you would use a lot of big stones so you won't need as much cement as there aren't as many gaps.
So make sure you use the right aggregate.
Paving expert web site is another good one for drives and paths, take a look at that.

Sponsored Links
Not sure where my last post went, but there are many mixes for many purposes, this is the web site i used when laying our drive, and it hasn't moved since i laid it. The link given has a loud of calculators for the different mixes depending on your requirements. You do have to scroll down a long way past all the mortar information to the concrete information
https://www.pavingexpert.com/mortars

I have been rethinking my patio. It’s not really accessible or easy for me to either get the concrete delivered or mix that amount on site.
I know I can prime the tiles so they can go on a sand and cement base but id rather use proper tile adhesive on to a concrete base.

So my question is, is there any reason why I couldn’t contact 70mm of type 1 down and then do a 30mm concrete screed on top with a mesh in? Or does it really have to be 100mm slab or 100mm type 1. I can’t mix the both?

Have you considered volumetric on-site mixing? Most concrete companies will also do a line pump for around £350 which will pump over 100 metres horizontally.

Have you considered volumetric on-site mixing? Most concrete companies will also do a line pump for around £350 which will pump over 100 metres horizontally.

I’m aware of the line pumping, it’s hard for any sizeable vehicle to stop for a period of time. Plus the pump will cost more than the 4 cubic metres I need. I was trying to find a way around it as I have time on my hands

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back