Sand & cement or plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there
I have just pulled my bathroom tiles off and in places the plaster has come with them exposing the bricks in places. I think the holes are too deep to fill with tile adhesive, would I be ok filling with sand and cement?If so, how long do I wait before re-tiling?

Cheers :?:

Sponsored Links
If the holes aren't to big,why not fill them with bonding?.It would be alot quicker than sand and cement.

Bonding usually goes solid after a couple of hours mate.I'd say bond it in the morning and tile it in the afternoon.

Sponsored Links
If you want it to go off quicker,chuck a couple of handfuls of cement in with the bonding(shhhhh) ;)

Cheers for that. On the subject of plastering, do I need to use joint compound on SE plasterboard with jointing tape. I'm planning on taping and skimming, is this correct?

If your plastering over plasterboard that is joined then you use plastering tape(the mesh variety).Place the tape over the joins,then i usually add a little plaster to bed it down,then throw on the skim.

jason_s said:
Bonding usually goes solid after a couple of hours mate.I'd say bond it in the morning and tile it in the afternoon.
Hmmm I find this a little bit quick. I've seen bonding take over a fortnight to dry out properly depending on the base and the conditions.

If its a large area,then i'd say yer g.But if its only small areas that need patching,then it wont take as long to go firm.Plus it depends on the thickness being applied.Many a time i've bonded in the morning and then skimmed in the afternoon.Never had a problem yet.

Firstly on the bonding topic it is only in small areas about 1 & 1/2 inches deep, but another problem is the thin skim that was on, most of that has come away. Can I clear the rest of this plaster and seal the render/plaster and tile onto this.
Secondly skimming plasterboard Jason, I bought some self adhesive jointing tape for the joints, is this wrong?

Sounds like you have the dry lining tape mate.You want the mesh tape costs about £4-5 a roll.

Thanks Jason this tape cost me £5.00 I did use some sort of mesh tape when I boarded the loft and skimmed but the joint cracked, maybe due to movement I don't know. This tape I have seems a lot stronger, what do you think this is for then?
Do you have experience of Aquapanel? Is it worth its salt?

cheers

If you doing a bathroom/showeroom then it is best to use aqua panel.It will save you alot of time and effort in the long run.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back