Plastering over sand and cement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there any problem with plastering over sand and cement,ive done it before and had no problem. I heard someone in the pub saying he couldnt get plaster to stick to sand and cement.

Sponsored Links
Cheers jbonding, ive never had a problem with plaster sticking to sand and cement, it seems to stick to everything. Pity i didnt hear the end of the pub conversation :D . The only time ive had things go wrong is when using finishing plaster to do patch up jobs, if ive laid it on thick it sometimes cracks. To be honest i thought all plaster was the same. Is there a difference between plasters.

When patching up,
Remove any dust/loose material,
Dampen down the area your patching to control suction,
Use browning to cover the area, Rule off with a straight edge,
Scrape back all around the edge of the area your patching, This is so the finish should blend in better, if done properly you shouldnt see where the area has been patched when finish is applied.

Scrape a couple of mm off the top of the browning as its drying,
Apply the finishing plaster.

The reasons i would think you got cracking were either you hadnt dampened down the area enough, If it was a high suction background the water could be absorbed from the applied plaster, Causing the newly plastered area to dry out too quick, causing cracking. Or you might have tried to cover too deep an area all at one go, Plaster has to be applied in layers, Using pva can also reduce cracking as it seals an area controlling suction.
Also using finish plaster on its own to cover a deep area could cause cracking, If its only a small area and it doesnt justify buying a bag of bonding and finish, Do the job in layers, let each layer dry out then apply next, That might work.

Sponsored Links
Cheers Always Learning, whats "browning". Can i use the finishing plaster i have a small bag off, in layers. I had wet the area before plastering as i always do so i wasnt expecting any cracking. Maybe it was because the house was very warm the day i done it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back