Sanding curved V groove

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to sand some reclaimed decking in the "grooves" between boards (marked red in photo). It's already well fixed down so needs to be done in place, and there's over 250m of groove to deal with so I'm hoping for something faster than hand sanding. The v-groove attachment for a mouse sander doesn't fit right.

https://ibb.co/hM6Fj3D
Pic (the insert button wasn't working for me - sorry).

I've been thinking of something like a flapwheel, or some sort of abrasive mop, but the grades I can find seem to be either for stripping rust off metal, or final finishing 240grit sort of grade. But nothing in between.

Happy to buy sanding tools / accessories to get the job done. Within reason.

Does anyone have any suggestions of kit that might get this done?

EDIT: Clarified it's the gap between boards. The decking was laid flat side up last year, with its machined grooves face down.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Fein used to do a detail sanding kit for the Multimaster which had various profiles in it ' should fit most makes of multitool. Or maybe something on a Dremel?

Thanks - food for thought. I should clarify it's not the normal decking grooves - I thought I had mentioned that but missed it - will edit.

Sponsored Links
Cannot think of a machine that would assist and be quick to undertake the task?

How about?? a piece of plywood, thickness to suit the gaps [minus the sandpaper thickness -Just-]

Length of ply to suit sandpaper being used.

Height of ply to suit use and comfort add a couple of hand / finger holes to assist use.

Wrap a full sheet of sandpaper around the ply, hold it on with LARGE clips

Run the ply + Sandpaper back and forward in the joint, move the sandpaper as needed.

Find a remedy for stiff knees??

Ken.

For the grooves: thin plywood or MDF with alox abrasive glued to one or both sides using spray adhesive. For some multitools (e.g Fein) you can get thin, leaf type sanding pads, but they aren't ideal for volume work. There are some trade orbital sanders and a few delta sanders which also feature an extended thin, flat base which allows sanding of louvres, etc. which might be suitable

For the radiused edges, as per my previous suggestion unless you can get hold of an in-line sander with a profile maker kit (see the Festool LS130 to get an idea). These are very rare, though, and expensive. They follow the same principles as the pneumatic in-line sanders used in car body shops (but if course those, whilst relatively inexpensive require a very large compressor)

399-1.jpg

If you attempt to use any kind of brush head sander, such as an Engis head, there is a possibility of over sanding and changing the profile of the edges. Makita still make a portable brush head sander in some markets (model 9741J), but I haven't seen them advertised here in a long time (circa £450 to £500 imported)

makita-9741j.jpg

At one time Black and Decker did a smaller DIY version of this, but I imagine you'd struggle to get abrasive for a tool which must have been out of production for at least 30 years old

Last edited by a moderator:
If you attempt to use any kind of brush head sander, such as an Engis head, there is a possibility of over sanding and changing the profile of the edges. Makita still make a portable brush head sander in some markets (model 9741J), but I haven't seen them advertised here in a long time (circa £450 to £500 imported)

I was thinking along the lines of something rotary like those. But the grades seem very hard to find. I was originally put onto the idea by this video:

But that product is USA and would take a couple of weeks to arrive.

I'll check out all the suggestions above and keep looking :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back