sanding down coving.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whom ever painted my coving in the bathroom did not use half-paint half-water mixture on the first coat. Now it's cracking.

I need to rub it all down or use an electric sander. Ideally I dont want to using elbow grease.

Ideas anyone?

Sponsored Links
Get a dense foam sponge about 8"x6"x4" and use this as a sanding block, when you push it into the cove it will mould to the shape and make the job a little easier. Cant see you can really use an electric sander on a job like this. ;)

Ok i did sort of expect i'd have to put some arm work into it ;)

Whom ever painted my coving in the bathroom did not use half-paint half-water mixture on the first coat. Now it's cracking.

I need to rub it all down or use an electric sander. Ideally I dont want to using elbow grease.

Ideas anyone?

How do you know it was the mix? Could it not also have been steam, environment, painted over dust, grease, wrong paint, etc/etc, or where you actually there when it was done.

Sponsored Links
ok, i dont know is the answer to that question. why do you ask? will it make any difference to my rubbing it down?

Hope I'm not too late!

Go very carefully and use a really light glasspaper - If its the plaster coving its very easy to damage the paper surface and once you get tears in that they are very difficult to hide, ditto the paper covered polystyrene cove. And with the general polystyrene coves the slightest pressure can leave a permanent dent.

If its only the coving thats cracked, it may be one of the hi-density polystyrene coves which are ultra smooth - hence the paint won't soak in and if its been put on too thick will tend to craze. I always reckon to use several thin coats when I'm using this stuff.

Trust me - I've been there!

thanks for the heads up. the coving is made of something that resembles plaster. its really heavy and no way will it dent.

try a flexible sanding block or some wet and dry using the sponge method mentioned :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back