Sanding floorboards - woodworm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I've spent the last day on my hands and knees using a heatgun to remove the bitumen from my 1930s floorboards, longing for the day when I can finally start sanding.

Today, I happily powered up the edging sander to get to work, as I worked around, I could see vein like structures being exposed as I sanded. I assume this is woodworm (looks longstanding as there's no evidence of new holes). I had planned on doing 3 rooms, but the "veins" look aweful. I've kind of resigned myself to the fact that I'm now going to have to carpet, but thought I'd pick the collective brains of the many helpful people on this forum to see if there's anything I can do to repair the floor?

Thanks

Dave

Sponsored Links
If the floor boards aren't t&g. It may be easier to take up the floor boards and turn them over and re lay. You'll get a newer surface Although older.

Bet you wish I'd answered this before you spent ages with a heat gun.

It may not be possible and would be as lucky as me if it happened but when i needed a few boards for patching i kept my eyes out and they were knocking down a bunch of identical house nearby. same age and same timber.

Sorry if thats rubbed it in, but it may happen?

If your renovating other rooms that will have carpet/tiles steal boards from there. Another good source is the cupboard under your stairs if you have one. And dont worry about having a few not full length boards it all adds to the character.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back