Sanding floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As we have a dog, carpets tend to get mucky (and hairy) very quickly. So we are planning on sanding the front room floor. We considered laminate, but as we are planning on replacing the fireplace and a fitted cupboard later in the year, large areas would have to be redone, which can be tricky with laminate. Also its a bit too pricy for us at the moment.

We did arrange to pickup a sander set from HSS (£91, £200 depsoit, £2.50 a sheet "you'll need about ten of those") but when we asked when they were open they neglected to say they shut early on saturdays, Grrr.
So after a wasted weekend we are looking at perhaps buying.

The room is only fairly small, about 4mx5m, and it doesnt have many fiddly corners. The floor boards have never been varnished, basically they are dusty, a few paint spots, and in overall good condition. I can't really allocate whole days to the job, so would only be sanding for a few hours at a time in the evenings.

So could we get away with using a small belt sander ? Argos sells one for 29.99 (75mm width, 700 Watt), and for about £40 you can get some meatier versions from ebay. I think we can avoid burning the motor as we (well I) wouldn't be sanding all day every day, rather doing bits at a time.

We've had the carpet up about a week, and there are no more squeaky boards or nails raised. If theres anything else I should be looking for/doing in preparation please let me know.

Thanks in advance (and for reading all of this :) )
Chris

EDIT: heres a link to the argos sander http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/comme...nbr=6970&type=big&thisMode=ols&cgrfnbr=774549

Sponsored Links
Can't offer any advice I'm afraid, but will be interested to see any comments.

We are currently in the process of preparing to do our floorboards. Our room is quite a bit bigger than yours, about 7.5m x 4.5m.

We are planning on hiring a big sander from HSS or similar.

Encountering huge problems getting hold of reclaimed floorboards to repair and fill in 2 holes where the chimney breasts were - apparently our boards are an odd size (only 6" and tongue and grooved). Considering taking up some of the bedroom boards at the mo, to replace with non-reclaimed boards.

So if any one can also offer advice on this, would be appreciated.

I have sanded two bedroom floors and the stairs with just a belt sander - my brother is a carpenter so I get to borrow his stuff. I would have thought a cheapish sander would be OK on a small floor - you can always return it if it breaks - it is designed for sanding so it ought to be up to the job, although it may take a little longer. I would also advise a good dust mask and some knee pads.

Change of plan.

My dads a joiner so hes letting me use his, I've just got put it back together.

He was worried that using a small belt sander might leave it looking a bit patchy (or perhaps me using a small belt sander would leave it patchy :))

For the front room I went and pinched some boards from the bedroom, when central heating was put in I think they may have used a JCB to take some of the boards up, and the replacements were metric rather than imperial, leaving a bit of a gap. The boards in the bedroom were a great fit, and are exactly the same age.

Sponsored Links
The floors I sanded with the belt sander were fine - although it is quite hard work as the sander wants to drag you around the floor! I swept and vacuumed up the dust from the floor as well as the walls before finally wiping with white spirit to pick up all remaining dust. I lightly sanded between coats to help keep a smooth finish. I also used an orbital sander which was useful around the edges up to the skirting.
Don't forget the knee pads!

OK next question, specifically to anyone actually selling the stuff...

12" wide rolls of sandpaper? any ideas where I can get some?

Couldn't you buy some from the hire shop? If not I would phone around local builders merchants.

yeesh, you would not believe how hard it is to find 12" sandpaper.

Nowhere sells it anymore, I found a company called klingspor, who have a branch in worksop but thats my best yet. Also one place in cambridge, but they had stupid prices.

Also can someone tell my why anglo-abrasives are selling a stapler, a floral arrangement and a camera yet no bloody 12"sandpaper ?!?!?!? :)

http://catalog2.zen.co.uk/actinic/Anglo_Abrasives_Ltd/Online_Catalogue_Miscellaneous_3.html

it may seem a daft question, but you know exatly what you want, i do not.

You say 12 inch sandpaper, is that 12 inches square?

Also when using a search engine they take you at your word, 12 inch sandpaper is also called 300mm aluminium oxide sanding belts.

if you want it for a floor sander try seaching for floor sander . or aluminium oxide belts

isn't Technology is wonderfull

all our house is sanded, I would advise the hire option, it's a lot quiker and they'll do week hire deals. You'll probbly do a room each evening, though you might need an orbital sander for the edges and corners!

Be sure to buy a good quality seal, it's worth the extra money cos it lasts longer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back