Sanding gloss - confused

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have painted a new external hardwood door and done a first coat of gloss but it needs a second coat. I am bit confused though. There are a few bits and dead flies that have settled on the paint work, so from looking at other posts I think I should wait a week or so for it all to dry and then sand the bits out. But do I just sand the parts that have the bits, I won't need to sand the whole door will I? I've wondered about this on window sills and doors where they might get bashed. Is there a technique for 'repairing' a small area of glossed woodwork?

Sponsored Links
When re-glossing you have to let the first coat dry enough so that its hard enough to be able to sand onto. Use some wet'n'dry dipped in water and gently rub the woodwork over following the grain of the wood. Dry it off and give it another coat of gloss but slightly thinned. This should give you a nice shine and will last longer.

Thanks Robbie. Do I need to sand the whole door, including the thin bits that hold the glass in (beading?)? Also wondering how to patch some interior door frames that have suffered some knocks and scuffs?

Yes do all of the door. Doesnt matter too much about the beading.
Regarding the door frames, it easier to do all of the frame rather than trying patch it. It will always be noticable.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back