Sanding Parquet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - first post to the forum but I've been gaining lots of useful advice before tackling 30msq of reclaimed oak parquet. The question I need an answer to is what is the maximum height difference I can expect to be able to "sand away" during the first 40-60 grit pass? I ask because I'm in the process of dry laying and acclimatising the cleaned blocks before bonding and there is quite a height difference (+2-3mm) between some of the blocks - will this much sand down or do I need to get rid of the high blocks before laying?

Sponsored Links
Grit 60 will certainly take a couple of mills off so this could work, obviously you'll then need to go over the surface with a grit 120 prior to overcoating with a finish

Not sure the thickness of the parquet but this should also be taken into account.

Hope this helps.

Ian McAslan

Start with grit 40 to get as much of the height differences off and make sure you hire a better sander than the standard drum sanders most hire-centres have. A belt sander would be best.
When you've got this done, use grit 80 next. If you want to oil your floor use grit 120 for the third sanding and for varnish/lacquer you'll need a fourth sanding with 150 grit.

More info about restoring/repairing/installing original parquet flooring can be found here.

Sponsored Links
Blocks are between 25-30mm so should be fine to take off a few mm - just wasn't sure whether a sander would take that much off. Planning to finish with hardwax oil so will make 120 the last sand before finish.

Thanks for the advice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back