Sanding runs

bsr

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I have been priming MFC with a Zinsser Cover stain aerosol. In a couple of places I have runs and sags.

Is there a way to level these out? If I sand Im concerned I could sand out all of the primer before I take the run off.

I've also tried scraping one drip with a Stanley scraper but that took off the whole drip leaving an unprimed blob below.

Thanks

bsr

Sponsored Links
Bite the bullet, sand using a block with paper wrapped around it and respray using thinner coats this time.(y)

As above but you need to wait for the runs to cure. If the job is time critical, use the stanley blade again and back fill with 2 pack filler.

OK thanks.

Oppo do you mean to fill the holes from scraping using the 2 pack (Ronseal high performance or similar)? I guess that makes sense since it is an epoxy glue so it should stick to anything. Its thick and sticky stuff though, so I don't know if I could get it thin enough with the crappy plastic spatula they provide.

Sponsored Links
That's the kind of filler I was recommending, there are cheaper alternatives though. It isn't an epoxy though, it is a polyester resin. I throw the plastic spatula away and use metal filling knives.

Don't expect to be able to apply it perfectly flush, you will need to give it a light sand. There is a risk that you may slightly sand through the primer though. You should be able to sand it after about 30 mins (depending on ambient temperature).

There are softer fillers such as Toupret RedLite but it wont feather out as well as the 2 pack filler and RedLite et al will need priming anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back