Staircase painting....What paint?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Over the last few weeks Ive been slowly sanding down my dark stained stairs, and this weekend I started priming them.

Ive primed it with Zinsser B-I-N. Which I have to sand out some brush marks but going well.

My question is what next.....

The primer had some quite a good job of covering the original dark wood, but It defiantly needs an undercoat and top coat.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Are you paint the treads, or sides? Will there be any carpet (runner or fitted) laid? What colour do you want it?

NB, dont try and do white un-carpeted treads...

Daniel

Are you paint the treads, or sides? Will there be any carpet (runner or fitted) laid? What colour do you want it?

NB, dont try and do white un-carpeted treads...

Daniel

Yep, will be carpeted (fitted I believe), so I do not need to paint the stairs themselves. Just everything else (hand rail, spindles etc)

oh, white or off white. its a dark room so looking to brighten it up

Sponsored Links
Zinsser B-I-N is quick drying, so I guess that's a priority for you?

The best under and topcoats for quick drying will be water based. But it depends on the finish you want. If you want an old fashioned gloss finish, go for an oil based paint for both under and topcoats - you can get some water based paints that give a gloss finish, but it won't be as good IMHO.

A satin finish or eggshell finish can look more modern and sexy, but will grubby up quicker than gloss.

I'd say choose a topcoat based on the finish you're after, and then the label on the tin should tell you what undercoat to use - from the same brand, of course. It's better to match them closely though; recommending your own brand on your products is good business sense, but also good common sense, as the products were literally made for each other!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back