Sandstone paving steps within gravel - what's going wrong?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've got several sandstone slabs standing within gravel - on mortar* bases. They were done as part of work on our garden two years back.
The problem is that they're coming (cleanly) loose. Here's an example:

View media item 75980
The stones receive above average traffic in comparison with most gardens but nothing crazy.

Can anyone help me with what the problem is? And how I rectify it?

Thank you!

*I say mortar but really I have no details on the base used.

Sponsored Links
I would suspect the mortar was too dry when the slab was laid or the slab was dry and dusty.

I think I would try dampening both surfaces and a fairly wet mix of sand/cement to try and get a bond without raising the level too much but I have never tried it.

I would think somethig not too hard maybe 1 of cement to 5 sand I might use builders sand instead of the normal sharp sand used on slabs as it might bed down a little better in a thin layer.

Sponsored Links
use exterior grade tile cement, that way you dont raise the level too much and it will give much stronger adhesion

In situations like this where I cannot raise the level and it is not worth removing the old mortar and replacing then I have found that a suitable two-part epoxy applied neat to the entire contact area provides a very strong bond (I use West System 105/205 but most would likely be fine). I've used it to re-fix floor tiles and coping stones and none have moved since. Both surfaces must be porous, dry and dust free.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back