Sanibest Macerator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Just wondering is it ok to plug a sanibest macerator into a regular socket or does it have to be run on a separate circuit?

I know ideally it should be on its own circuit but was wondering if there were any issues with putting it on a socket?

Thanks

Taareq

Sponsored Links
It should be on an unswitched fused spur, simply to provide a means of isolation & stop it being switched off accidentally thus leading to flooding. So using a plug would risk flooding your house.

thank you for your reply.

would that be the only reason? if so, the socket would be hidden or kept away from others or do you mean from the fusebox?

it wouldn't be any sort of fire risk would it? as in, the load or anything?

Isn't that reason enough? :eek: If you have a convenient socket that you are wanting to use then swop it for an fcu. Saying it will be hidden won't stop accidental switch off believe me. You also need to fit the correct size fuse for the macerator, probably 3 amp, but the instructions will clarify that.

Sponsored Links
the reason i'm asking is plumber says it should be ok on a socket and switch but electrician says he wants to run it through from the fuse box at an extra £150

if there is no danger in putting into a socket i will let plumber do it, but only if its actually safe

The plumber is definately wrong, the electrician may be wrong but I can't tell without seeing the setup. Ask the electrician why he cannot spur off the socket that the plumber intends to use & instal an fcu. From an electrical point of view then there is no actual danger, but I definately would not consider the risk of flooding as safe. If you are paying money for a professional job then it should be done properly.

Thanks again.

The electrics are all brand new, 2 years old. The risk of flooding, is that if the the actual spur or fcu is switched off or if the circuit from the fuse box is switched off?

also, what's the difference between a regular Spur and an FCU?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/marbo-13a-dp-switched-fused-connection-unit-white/27148
http://www.screwfix.com/p/volex-13a-rcd-fcu/83049

Sorry for all the questions, I'm not too clued up on this and the electrician didn't fill me with confidence when I spoke to him. Usually if I feel the guy is genuine and i know it sounds right I let them do what they suggest

There may be more to this than meets the eye.

If it is in a bathroom then it has to be supplied from an RCD.

If its just a WC with a basin then it CAN be supplied from a socket but far better from a switched fused spur.

Incidentally, I was very impressed by the Grundfos macerator.

Tony

Only the toilet will be connected to the macerator.

Bath and Basin have their own wastes going outside to the drain. the Sanibest will only take waste from the toilet. where should the spur or FCU go?

If its just a WC with a basin then it CAN be supplied from a socket but far better from a switched fused spur.
Tony
I think you will find the manufacturers instructions specifically state an fcu not a socket. As we all know these days failure to comply to the letter can void warranties. Yes the risk of flooding is caused if the power supply is unknowingly removed & the toilet repeatedly flushed the water & anything in it will back up & overflow from the pan. A spur is the generic name for a sub circuit taken from somewhere else, an fcu is the component( fused control unit)

Hi all, thanks for the help before. Got it connected to a spur. The electrician eded up doing it saying it was fine.

The issue is now when the sanibest is flushed, on the third belch water seems to pump up into the sink and bath even though the plumber assures me that te bath waste only meets the sanibest and basin waste at the wall when they connect into the outside waste pipe.

The sanibest has one waste going out, the basin waste connects to a T about a meter away and then the bath waste meets at the wall in the corner of the bathroom.

Is the solution simply a no fill valve connected to the bath and sink trap or do we also need to have an airvent on the waste pipes?

Thanks

T

even though the plumber assures me that te bath waste only meets the sanibest and basin waste at the wall when they connect into the outside waste pipe.
These things always require a separate pipe to the waste, you can't join anything else to it.
If you do, minced sewage appears in the sink, bath and whatever else you have in the room.
And then later on when the outgoing waste gets blocked, the mess doesn't just appear in the room - it sprays out of the sink with considerable force.

Is the solution simply a no fill valve connected to the bath and sink trap or do we also need to have an airvent on the waste pipes?
The solution is to install it properly, either a totally separate waste pipe for it or put the other waste pipes through the device.

My solution would be rather different, but then I would never have fitted such a thing in the first place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back