Saniflo external waste pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

A relative of mine has a saniflo in a downstairs bathroom fed by a shower and toilet. The waste pumps up on the outside of the house into the soil stack in the roof. The only problem is the wate pipe is not insulated and in the winter it just splits spraying the contents of the loo/shower everywhere.
I am going to replace the pipe but my question is, is it possible to lag the pipe that is exposed on the side of the house, approximately 3m worth or should it be boxed in?

The saniflo can't be used in the winter which defeats the object if the instalation in the first place!

Thanks for your helps

Sponsored Links
Is there any option to reroute the pipe internally? The discharge pipework from a Saniflo will remain full of waste from the until up to the point where gravity takes over, running a vertical section externally is a recipe for disaster.....

If it cannot be moved then I would be looking at boxing it in, and packing the boxing with insulation to try and prevent (doubt you'll guarantee it though) from freezing. Insulation will only help to prevent heat from escaping, it wont put heat into what will already be a cold area during the winter months. I would construct boxing so that the cover can readily be removed as I have doubts that it'll still prevent the pipe from freezing in extreme low temperatures.

Thanks Hugh
I drained the pipes back in December and I had 3m worth of water gushing down through the Solvent Waste access plug.
I will have a look around for a way or re routing the pipe. I don't really want to have to box the pipes in as this will turn into a bigger job than I want to do. My relative struggles with the stairs so the downstairs bathroom is a must. I cant really understand why the pipe was left un protected.
Must a saniflo be piped direct into the stack or can it be plumbed into a drain?

Sponsored Links
Any drainage from a W.C. is classed as soil, and must be directly connected to the drain. (I assume the Saniflo was fitted due to an inability to get a gravity drain to the W.C.?)

Ultimately though these things are not ideal, and should never be used unless another W.C. (on a conventional drain) is available within the premises. I would be concerned due to your relatives reliance on this W.C., should the Saniflo pack up for any other reason, (and it is often the case with these, not if but when....)

If there is an option to fit the downstairs W.C. onto gravity drainage, it may well be prudent to investigate it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back