1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Saniflo question

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by rich4nancy, 11 Feb 2019.

1. rich4nancy

rich4nancy

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    i’ll keep this as short as poss. I have a saniflo (sanislim) in my ensuite (I know, don’t say it...had no choice) works fine but occasionally omits a bad smell (drain/methane type) it’s quite random. Have treated with bleach etc but it returns, then sometimes disappears or hangs around like the proverbial bad smell ! The discharge rises vertically approx 2.5m into roof in 22mm copper then into I think 32mm plastic and gravity falls to the stack top connection. Having done a bit of research etc is it possible that a syphoning effect occurs from time to time due to high drop on stack and poss draws water from traps ? With it being quite random ? If so could I fit a 32mm non return valve on the waste in the roof to help with this ? Into unit is shower, hand basin and toilet (strictly no number 2’s tho !) any help/suggestions gratefully received ! Cheers

2. Sponsored Links
  3. The non-return valve won't stop siphoning (which is unlikely anyway) and there is already a non return in the Saniflo outlet.

If you can locate which appliance is venting - most likely the shower but could be the basin then a trap with an AAV will stop the trap emptying.

for example - https://www.screwfix.com/p/mcalpine-swivel-p-trap-white-32mm/96792

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Dan Robinson

Dan Robinson

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    @justpumps has a fetish for these abominations. I just advise you to burn your house down and claim on the insurance.

But then, you knew that already :).

• Like Like x 2
  5. rich4nancy

rich4nancy

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks Dan !! It wasn’t ideal to have one admittedly, however we had no choice. In terms of its performance it does the job...just this random smell is becoming annoying. Hopefully the saniflo fetishists as you call them maybe able to advise..cheers

6. Some dude on here likes diggin in saniflos so much he would probably pay you to have a go..My advice,same as Dan's

• Like Like x 1
  7. Dan Robinson

Dan Robinson

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom

There's always a choice. :p

8. Sponsored Links
  9. just pumps

just pumps

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Emm, Saniflo fetish I think not! :LOL:
    With the smell being random I`m not convinced the sani is the cause tbh. Next time the smell returns poke a straw or slim pencil down through the grate of the basin and shower outlet as far as you can go. When removed there should be water on the bottom of the straw/ pencil, if there isn`t then that waste trap has been sucked dry as another member mentioned above.
    Failing that come back to us.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Yes,thats him.does 3 dozen a week...luvs em.

• Like Like x 1
  11. just pumps

just pumps

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Luv the money they bring in more like it. :D

12. Yum.

13. rich4nancy

rich4nancy

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Justpumps will do. My wife is very efficient at pointing out the smell then somehow making me feel guilty for not sorting it !! Hence why I’m on here cheers

14. just pumps

just pumps

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Sadly it is a fact of life that they smell smells we don`t.

15. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local