Smell in house when the toilet is flushed

Sponsored Links
I am still trying to trace the location and cause of the smell. It does not seem to occur for any one item we are doing eg. sometimes smell occurs when turning on heating other time when heating is off. Sometimes when toilet is flushed other times when not. We have used dishwasher/washing machine recently but smell some days when its been used but smell somedays when not used all day.

Had a look out side and I don't have a vent on the roof like the other houses in the street. Friend of mine called it something like a stink or smell vent pipe. He guessed I must have a aav somewhere for the upstairs. I found this under the bath but again can't confirm the smell is coming from here.

shouldn`t be under the bath - should be higher :confused: Probably a dodgy system with some traps letting smells back @ random occasions . Only way is to look @ the installation . You could get pages of speculation here- then the gas fitters will start and the thread will be locked :LOL: . If it was my house , I`d get that pipe outside through the wall under the bath and up above the roofline to vent . Then see what happens

Hi M Mannas,

I've read all the replies and I am sure that you are very new to this plumbing word. I think it will be better to go for a plumber now rather than inspecting by your own because you've tried everything and checked everywhere but not able to find the exact point. Call a professional and let him check the issue.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all your help. I think I have located the aav but with my back in a brace I am unable to do much with it. I think you are right and will contact a plumber. I guess they may also advise with move the stink pipe to an external location elevated above the house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back