Foul smell of sewage downstairs when upstairs toilet is flushed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When upstairs toilet is flushed, the smell of sewage reeks in the kitchen and around our staircase

What could the possible cause and what remedial action do I need to take?

The soil stack is in the kitchen and the plumbing is only a year old and never had an issue before.

Sponsored Links
Is the water in the kitchen traps, being sucked out? Check whatever type of vent you have is working properly, if the vent is indoors, it will be automatic vent, allowing air in, but not out like a valve at the top of the vent stack.

Flush the toilet with loo paper and have someone check the flow at the manhole. If no obvious blockage or bottle neck, it would be a loose joint from the toilet or other waste pipes where they join the soil stack. It may need to broken open if its boxed in, so if you're not confident or competent to check all this, best call in a plumber.

Blup

Sponsored Links
Blocked manhole/drain line.

Andy
I haven't lifted the manhole yet. But the water appears to be flowing well

If the manhole/drain line was blocked, wouldn't water back up when I flush the toilet? or do the washing?

Is the water in the kitchen traps, being sucked out? Check whatever type of vent you have is working properly, if the vent is indoors, it will be automatic vent, allowing air in, but not out like a valve at the top of the vent stack.

The soil stack runs from upstairs bathroom straight down to kitchen on ground floor

The soil vent then runs up into the loft and through the ceiling

Agree with Harry that its likely the u bends being evacuated on flush.
Could be positive pressure from the flush pushing air out in the stack joints (check with soapy water).
Could be a leak in the u bends causing the seal to be lost.

Fill up the ubends with a coloured liguid and what what happens when flushed.
Check any stack joints for air leaks.

I haven't lifted the manhole yet. But the water appears to be flowing well

If the manhole/drain line was blocked, wouldn't water back up when I flush the toilet? or do the washing?

Depends really on how badly blocked and the speed that water is put down it. Completely blacked, as happened to me once - yes it would back up. Hence I suggested checking the air admittance isn't jammed, at the top end of the stack.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back