Saniflo v Uniflo/other brands

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks, looking to use a Saniflo type macerator for a downstairs cloakroom. Have seen some on eBay made by a company called 'Uniflo' which seem to be a bit cheaper.

I'm just wondering if any of you lot have any experience/tips of using such items, and whether you get what you pay for, or whether the cheaper item is just as good as the more expensive one. Maybe customer services is better at one than the other?

Thanks in advance :D

Sponsored Links
I think that Saniflo do have a cheaper brand name.

Possibly Turbo something.

I expect mine is the cheaper one.

I did like the design of the Grundfoss one though!

Tony

Sponsored Links
As Forrest Gump said "S**t Happens" and usually when it's blocked and the power has gone off.
Like all things technical, prepare "plan B" for when things go wrong - as they inevitably will.
Phoning a plumber and saying your bog is full and gravity isn't going to help you clear it will invariably result in either a hung-up phone or a quotation that'd be enough to take you on a good holiday.

....so assuming that I've investigated all other options, including the bucket one....

....anyone else other than Agile have an opinion that doesn't involve a bucket or some holy water and a crusafix? :p

You can only use a macerator when its not the only WC in the house.

In spite of what the others are saying, having a second WC with a macerator is a convenient and far cheaper solution in many cases and enables you to have a second toilet in the house.

Mine has been working for about 8 years with no maintenance or problems although its only used about one day a week.

But its hardly the end of the world if the second WC is out of order once in a while. You will not need a bucket! But a flushing camping loo is a better backup for anyone who felt they needed one. I have a new one in a tatty box which I need to sell on Ebay sometime!

My experience is that as long as you follow the usage rules they give virtually no problems!

Tony

Yeah, it wouldn't be the main toilet, although it would be used a good few times daily no doubt. It also wouldn't have to pump very far (and not vertically).

I have no problem with clearing the yucky stuff myself if there's a blockage, plenty of experience of having me arm down the u-bend when the kids have decided to pile in 2 full rolls of toilet roll lol.

It is a very powerful pump and I dont think that it makes any difference how far/high it needs to pump.

Mine also pumps a shower and basin so does get a good flow of cleaning water every day.

Since I don't repair them I don't have experience of the most common failure but would expect it is always putting something unsuitable into them.

So I would never recommend them for any tenanted property.

Tony

lol ^

I can't help but feel that those who hate the things might have unrealistic expectations of them like? I stand to be corrected however.

This would only be pumping a couple of metres and horizontally not vertically. I'd make sure it was a 'number 1's only' toilet other than for exceptional circumstances.

Only reason I'm considering it, is because it's going to take many many times the cost of a saniflo to modify the house in such a way that I can take a toilet waste to the main waste stack with a proper fall. I already have a suitable hole in the wall, and a boss on the main waste pipe.

Modifying the house to accomodate a traditional waste would be the overall long term goal, however at the moment, this seems like a good solution for now.

Buy a Grundfos one if you may have one at all - they're far more powerful than Saniflo units and I've been impressed with the ones I've fitted

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back