Sash Window Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Im in the process of refurbing the downstairs window of a victorian cottage. Unfortunatly, its not just a case of cleaning up the old latches, as one is broken, needs replacing as is a security risk.

Most of the windows are in need of some TLC, in particular the sash windows (which im happy to work on) however, the downstairs is slightly different, ive not seen this kind before! Im stumped!

It looks like some sort of tilt system, but im really struggling to find replacment parts anywhere.

Would someone be kind enough to either a) tell me what they are called (perhaps its not a tilt system) or b) suggest a supplier c) share their thoughts on taking this system out and replacing with a spiral balance.

I've found various replacement tilt latches, but nothing with the U shaped end as per the photos....can only find the 'triangular' ones. Any ideas what the aluminium pole may be called?

Help much appreciated!

B

Sponsored Links
that looks a lot more modern. Is that a metal tube with a spriral or spring balance inside it?

I think I can see the stub of the old cut-off sash cord.

Maybe you can restore it to original by copying the upstairs windows. Cords, pulleys and weights are easily available.

It looks like, if you take out or pull back the U shaped latch, the window would pull inwards, as there does not seem to be an inner bead.

Sponsored Links
That looks like a spiral balance to me.
As was suggested you put your finger in the oval latch and slide towards the centre of the window to disengage.
What exactly is the problem with the window?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back