sash window leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Looking for some help on a problem I’ve been struggling with for about 5 years. 2011 I had new double glazed timber sash windows fitted to replace old draughty single glazed sash. I had the whole box replaced and masonry, architraving made good etc. The work seemed to be good. I used a local Fensa registered joinery company with a sound reputation. All in I had about 9 windows fitted - no problems with any apart from one, the bay, which has leaked ever since fitting.

Long story short, I’ve had builders and other glazing companies come and have a look at it and the masonry, sill and all surrounding areas are sound - no sign of where ingress could be occurring. But, whenever it rains for a long period of time, a damp patch appears on the wall underneath the sill. Spoken to the window company about twenty times, they can’t see any problem. I had my builder place a hose against the window and its pretty obvious that water is coming through between the parting bead and the masonry. The window company applied some sealant to the almost non-visible / non-existent gap between the parting bead and the masonry and the leaks stopped.

The problem is, as soon as the weather changes - i.e. we get a warm period or a wet period etc, the sealant cracks or moves and the leak begins again. I don’t understand it, as all of the other windows that were fitted don’t leak and they don’t have any sealant applied. It’s just this one window. All of the windows have weather strips - a plastic strip With a brush strip in the gap between the parting bead, so the gap is almost non existent but obviously water still gets through on this one window.

What can I do? Should I pushing to get them to replace the entire box and start again - they seem very unwilling and I can’t believe it’s necessary on what was / is a brand new window, but I’ve ran out of ideas and they never had any in the first place, other than applying flexible sealant.

any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
We may be able to recommend a better sealant but could to with seeing the colors and what surfaces they need to adhere too so a photo would help.

Thanks Gazman, i don't think it's the sealant - they used CT1 frame sealant both inside and outside and in the box itself. I was just trying to see if there was some underlying fault that anyone might be aware of. i can attach photos but not sure they'll help much - it just looks like a perfectly sound window - until it rains!

Hi,
Did you manage to fix this leak? I’m having an similar issue, i had a sash window and sill replaced (the original box was not replaced). The walls have been repointed & drains replaced. But its still leaking from the top corner. The sealant has been checked and looks fine. I’m just wondering if the box is the issue.
I know its a long-shot but i’d appreciate any advice!

Sponsored Links
In the case of a cavity wall the problem may be further up with water coming down the inside face of the outer leaf of the wall and being redirected inwards. This can sometimes happen when there is no or a defective cavity tray (a cavity tray is in effect a DPC). Assuming the sealant is 100%, you'd probably have to chop the sealant out and get an inspection camera in there during a rainstorm to confirm that, though

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back