Sash Window problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I've been renovating sash windows in my flat for the past few months, all going well so far.
However, in the kitchen, instead of the sash window frame sitting on top of the concrete window cill, this one has the window set into concrete cill by about 4". So whats happening is that water is seeping in between the concrete cill and the bottom of the sash window causing rott. From the inside the arcitraving joints are cracking open at the bottom of the window.
I'm going to remove and replace the acritraving, but any ideas of how to stop the water seeping in in first place?

Thanks
Pete

Sponsored Links
sorry no I havn't however I am in the process of restoring some sashes too, can you offer any tips? Things I'm struggling with specifically are removing old screws from the pullys, and removing the paint, seems to take forever!!

I've come across this many times in older buildings and it really is bad design in my books.
Their are a number of methods that can help.
You could always remove the timber cill completly and replace with stone or sand and cement
but if that's not an option then all you can do is to treat and seal with a mastic, I've used polysulfides in the past which are good and last well and recently have used the same stuff that's used for flashings , leadmate or similiar which is designed to be flexible.

Sponsored Links
Hello,
I've been renovating sash windows in my flat for the past few months, all going well so far.
However, in the kitchen, instead of the sash window frame sitting on top of the concrete window cill, this one has the window set into concrete cill by about 4". So whats happening is that water is seeping in between the concrete cill and the bottom of the sash window causing rott. From the inside the arcitraving joints are cracking open at the bottom of the window.
I'm going to remove and replace the acritraving, but any ideas of how to stop the water seeping in in first place?

Thanks
Pete

Hi Pete,

It would be good if you could upload a photo or two as it’s a bit hard to give sound advice without seeing the window.

If you replace the wooden sill it should replaced with another wooden sill (and the lower sections of pulley stiles and out linings also would need to be replaced, using the same species of timber if possible, ensuring the same moisture content between the old and the new timber. A typical softwood being Douglas fir and A typical hardwood being oak) as the structural joint between the pulley stiles, outer lining, inner linings would be lost and using any other material would only cause further rot and decay to the timber members.

Really glad to hear you’re repairing your sash windows rather than replacing them....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back