Sash windows not level

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm in the process of refurbing our sash windows. The top and bottom sashes of most of the windows in my house are out of alignment. Photo attached.

There's a 1/2 inch or more overlap on the inside and outside of the windows. This makes locking the windows and fitting draught proofing difficult.

Were the windows built like this for a reason or is there some movement in the windows causing this?

Should I leave this as is when refurbing the windows or remove some of the frame from the top and bottom sashes to they are flush?

Attachments

• 20181004_100722.jpg
    20181004_100722.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 148
Sponsored Links
willburt, good evening.

A couple of questions?

Can if you manually "Lift" the top sash manage to close the windows flush at the meeting rail?

It there any side to side movement of either sashes within the frame?

Sorry to ask but? does the top sash have two sash ropes attached to it? [OK Obvious question] but needs to be asked??

One other thing? do the sash pullies [the wheels that the ropes go over ] actually turn and are not stuck fast?

Ken.

Last edited:
Often build up of paint preventing full range of movement, also applies to pullies and ropes.

The windows are both at the full extent of their ranges and there isn't much pain build up. Both pulleys also roll without restriction and the ropes are all in tact.

Sponsored Links
willburt, good evening again.

OK obvious statement that should not happen, there is something somewhere interfering
Suggest you consider looking for some of the following???
Make sure the ropes are indeed moving over the pullies, paint as foxholes last post will stop the rope acting correctly, the rope becomes inflexible and jambs.
If the weights are bottoming out on the sill that is an unusual but not un heard of?? [needs a part strip out to diagnose, remove the batten rod and spring the parting bead to "get at" the pocket. open the pocket and have a look at where the weights are?
During the above, lift the bottom sash away from the top sash and have a look for obstructions at the junction of the top and bottom sashes, paint bits of curtain, small bits of wood, Etc. Etc. Etc. and damage to the junction of the two sashes.
I have seen [only once] a piece of an old sash lock stuck in this joint and causing all sorts of problems.

If the bottom sash is in full contact with the sill then there is a really good chance the problem will be with the top sash?

Ken

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back